Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Peter_uk_can

Bloodhound 1911.

Quality copies of this photo are available from Bekan's of Cowes.

daggers

Here is a piece about Lloyd's Register of Yachts, from the website of Port Cities, Southampton.
    "Lloyd`s Register of Yachts lists many of the world`s larger cruising and racing yachts. Inclusion was voluntary for owners, but nevertheless it is a very useful source of details of larger pleasure craft. It was published annually from 1878 until discontinued in 1980.

Lloyd`s Register of Yachts has similar aims to Lloyd`s Register of Ships - giving details of construction, dimensions and ownership of most pleasure craft over a certain size, plus survey and other details of classed yachts. A companion volume, Lloyd`s Register of American Yachts, provided similar detail for US and Canadian yachts from 1903 to 1977.

Subscribers could have the particulars of their yachts published in Lloyd`s Register of Yachts no matter what its size. Efforts were also made to include all sailing yachts with a sail area of at least 350 square feet and motor yachts of 27 feet and over."
    A full run of the register is held by Lloyd`s Register:

71 Fenchurch Street
    London
    EC3M 4BS
    Telephone 020 7709 9166
    Website lr.org
    Last edited by Procat; 18-12-2008 at 7:18 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Peter_uk_can

This is the Port Cities Southampton link that I used when researching a schooner that was once connected to the family.

At the bottom of the page are links to Southampton City Council, which,despite the title, I found most helpful. They have archivists who will copy/photograph original documents and conduct searches of mariner indexes.

There is of course a fee for this service, but it is far cheaper than hopping on a plane, or even parking in the city for a few days.

I didn't need to consult Greenwich with regard to the particular search I was doing, but did learn that the mariners/ship records are divided between Southampton and Greenwich dependant on the year of the record. (Don't ask me why ) This particular link and the information therein gave me additional information which lead on to, harbour master logs in the Caribbean and American records. This eventually took me to the family of what turned out to be the last owners of the vessel I was seeking. And it all started back in 1994 with a simple photo of my Grandfather wearing a sweater with a name on it.

https://www.plimsoll.org/RegistersAnd.../default.asp#2

BrendaE

Quote Originally Posted by aland View Post
    PS The majority of the Crew lists for 1913 to 1938 ,are held at the Maritime History Archive https://www.mun.ca/mha/, but I've not had a chance to look there yet.

Aland
    Thank you for all your hard work. I confess, I have put it on the backburner for the time being while I try to sort through every bit of family paperwork and mementoes and clues to get them into some sort of order and then, perhaps, I will be able to tackle things with a bit more efficiency.

I do appreciate your efforts and everybody's on this little mystery and, should I find out more, I will post it.

Bren

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12