Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Nannas

I think some people walk into this thinking they will connect to royalty,,,,,then when they find out they are convicts or adulterers they get a bit pissy...

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I have no skeletons in my cupboard, because they're all out there to see. A Mother murders child, and was found innocent because of insanity( no jail time, just remand). An Aunty kills her child, and her attempt to commit suicide but is foiled and spends 18 months in jail. An Uncle accused of attempted murder, and was committed to a mental hospital for an indeterminate period , and died there, even though he was innocent.

That's part of life and genealogy. If people want to wear blinkers and blindfolds, that's their choice.

Highlands

Quote Originally Posted by Nannas View Post
    I think some people walk into this thinking they will connect to royalty,,,,,then when they find out they are convicts or adulterers they get a bit pissy...
    The irony being that royalty and other famous people were the worst offenders of adultery and acts we would consider criminal. Not that there's anything wrong with actually being descended from royalty, but we're all descended from someone who was doing pretty horrible things, especially if those things were actually acceptable at the time, and if they were in a position of high authority there was more they could get away with.

jackie11

I've found my 2xgreat grandfather had a roving eye and deserted his wife and children for a barmaid, 20 years his junior. Even after 150 years I find I cannot be dispassionate and have refused to look at his 2nd family. As I thought there's no one alive who would be upset by the story I'm surprised at my own reaction.

As for secrets that would hurt the living - the sealed envelope is a good idea. Even the bad stuff should not be lost, otherwise what's the point of embarking on family history? We're not here to be spin doctors.

Kmccann

Hi i think I'm related to you my sarah crooks was my gt gt gt gt gt grandma
    Not to
    Pleased with my family's past either
    Kirsty xx

There are advantages to having a black sheep in the family - they're often better documented than the folk who lived quietly, paid their rent and raised their kids! There's a couple of police photo archives around, for example.

People are entitled to not want to know, just as we're entitled to search.

Indigo_Child

Well, late last night I discovered that my great-great-uncle was in the Blackadon Asylum at least from 1911 to 1938. His diagnoses was "lunatic for 45 years"!!! Didn't upset me at all because I personally think he was bi-polar or had severe anxiety attacks (as my daughter does) and that back then mental health issues were looked upon and dealt with in a far different way than nowadays when there are medications available.

And as for second wives? Found out two days ago that my great-grandfather remarried and to a woman who I THINK is the same age as his oldest daughter! I have a letter from my grandfather addressed to "Dear father and Mabel" Wondering who this "Mabel" was I finally tracked this unknown second wife. I found her probate information as well as that of my grandmother. They died on the same day two years apart and now I have absolutely NO idea if the woman I called "Grandma" who visited my family in Montreal back in the 1950's WAS my grandmother or my (very young) great-grandmother!! To me it's just fascinating not troublesome but I can understand that someone might have ambiguous feelings about finding the skeletons.

The skeleton I'd REALLY like to find out more about is the gentleman in a photo from WWII. he's showing a Spitfire to King George VI and from the bars on his uniform sleeve, he was a squadron leader. On the back it says he's my mother's brother ho died in Greece, but absolutely NO trace of him in any of the records!! I've been rummaging around in the families of the grand-parents trying to see if any brother or uncle is listed as serving in the RAF WWII!!

So all these mysteries are what keep a genealogist going I suppose!

I have said many times that the not so squeaky clean stuff happened and the only difference is that now we know. It had still happened even when we didn't know, so if we thought an ancestor was a solid upright clean living citizen and then we discover that he had three wives still living and hadn't divorced the first one before marrying the second, well that's life and that's people. If we don't like it then we should stop looking and remain ignorant...................................and that's never going to happen is it
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

raineshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Harrison View Post
    Judy Wallman, a professional genealogical researcher, discovered that

Hillary Clinton's great-great uncle, Remus Rodham, was hanged for

horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows.

On the back of the picture is this inscription: 'Remus Rodham; horse

thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1883, escaped 1887, robbed

the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives,

convicted, and hanged in 1889.'

Judy e-mailed Hillary Clinton for comments. Hillary's staff sent back

the following biographical sketch:

'Remus Rodham was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His

business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian

assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in

1883, he devoted several years of his life to service at a government

facility, finally taking leave in 1887 to resume his dealings with the

railroad. Subsequently, he was a key player in a vital investigation

run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed

away during an important civic function held in his honor, when the

platform on which he was standing collapsed.'

Tom
    Absolutely love it :-) Just shows there is a grain of truth in family stories as they say... and this is a very edited edition

Except, of course that the Remus Rodham story is a hoax

https://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/horsethief.asp

Snopes is the best site to go to when checking the veracity of any statement. My first port of call when told things these days
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast