Landofrainbows

Default Catshill, Bromsgrove CNSD

Catshill, Bromsgrove, CNSD Appears in the 'Where born' column of my granfather's birth certificate. (Might even be CW8O, it's hand-written.) Does anyone have any idea what this abreviation might be in this context? Mother is given as living in Catshill, Bromsgrove.

Landofrainbows

By the way, I am not new to Brit Gen!

Lincoln Lad

CN + Sanitary District?

Sorry cannot help with CN, but RSD is rural sanitary district, USD is urban sanitary district.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Landofrainbows View Post
    By the way, I am not new to Brit Gen!
    The descriptions are a bit of fun and change as the number of posts you make reach various thresholds - or as Bo-Peep feels fit if she is in one of her "moods".

Mutley

Have you looked at the Vision of Britain site.
    It explains the Administrative Districts.

I wonder if it could be CHSD?

Cats Hill Sanitary District

And if your second post is referring to your descriptive tag, just take a look at mine. It always gives me a smile

Landofrainbows

What a lovely site. I'll be able to waste plenty of time there. We are at the moment trying to get a picture of Catshill (definitely all one word) and have found a Post Office directory for 1876 where Catshill is described as 'a considerable village and Ecclesiastical Parish.' There are plenty of nailmakers and sellers which fits with Ann Wynn's occupation as 'screw wrapper up', but no hint of a mother or baby home. If she was sent to other family member , in the catshill area, eg a married cousin (as she was already living with uncle in Harbourne), they might be hard to trace as we would not know what name we are looking under, unless the 1871 census has a fuller list of the family at 67 Poplar St Harbourne who were in 1881:

Watkin WYNN Head 53
    Mary Ann WYNN Wife 49
    Mary Ann WYNN Daughter 18
    William Henry WYNN Son 13
    Ann WYNN Neice 28

Mary Ann the daughter is said to be a milliner and in Kellys there is a Haberdashers in Poplar St with Watkin Wynn's name, though he was an iron works clerk.

We might also need to go further back in Watkin and John Wynn's family to see if there were any other brothers or sisters Ann may have been sent to.