Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Daniells View Post
    I have joined several FHS in England as I find that it is invaluble to have contacts in those areas that you can draw info from. Likewise being in Australia I may be able to return the favour. Its all part and partial of your research. The more you spread your wings the greater area you will cover.
    Exactly Keith. I was able to give some contact information to another friend researching a particular name which was listed in the quarterly mag. Another random act of kindness passed along

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

I find that the Sussex FHG is also invaluable and I have bought several of their publication sales. I recieve their quarterly newsletter.

Ben

Gill.g

I can certainly guess the value of joining a FHS in the area needing research. There are several areas I'm looking at, and just know that linking with others looking at the same thing will be helpful. I won't be able to make meetings but I would hazard a guess and say that in our internet age, that won't be unusual.

Gill

Pam101

Very interesting comments. I will now join the FHS in the area of my brick wall. I've just bought a couple of CDs from them and found my elusive forebear in a trade directory. I'm already a member of another FHS to which I think I've contributed more than I've taken, so I guess it's swings and roundabouts. One day I hope my pursuit energy will calm enough for me to find time to do some transcribing. Do others find that this happens?

geoffpowers

Hi!

I had a bad experience with the FHS of one of the Midland counties a few years ago - I won't say which one for fear of embarassing them.

Full of enthusiasm I assiduously paid my subs and visited their web site - which was pretty thin at the time - every few days. I then sent off a specific research query to the committee officer responsible - waited for weeks - NOTHING! Emailed (no response!), then wrote by snailmail to the society secretary - still nothing. Then suddenly, out of the blue in mid-August I got a very brief note explaining that they couldn't deal with correspondence during the university term as they were too busy lecturing. The rest of their time was apparently given over to talks at the County Record Office and village halls, etc.! Not a good example to the FHS movement

The message has to be that one really does need to make the effort to find out something about the principal officers running the society and what the local setup is, and despite any inconvenience, endeavour to identify and make personal contact with at least one individual from among the bodies running the FHS.

Communication is everything!

GP
    Last edited by geoffpowers; 17-03-2010 at 7:37 PM. Reason: omission

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by geoffpowers View Post
    The message has to be that one really does need to make the effort to find out something about the principal officers running the society and what the local setup is, and despite any inconvenience, endeavour to identify and make personal contact with at least one individual from among the bodies running the FHS.

Communication is everything!

GP
    A very wise suggestion GP! I plan on attending my local genealogical society meeting to see what they are all about and how friendly/helpful the people may be. I have no research in Canada but some may have tips for UK searches.

robsnicta

What an excellent Idea to join an FHS in area where a lot of your forebares come from. I live in Teesside but a large number of my ancestors on my mothers side come from Denbighshire which is presenting me with quite a few brick walls. I have bought some parish records from the Clwyd FHS which has been very useful to me.

As I live so far away I wouldn't be able to attend any meetings but would be happy to help in anyway I can. I think I will find out some details about it asap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12