Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NickM

Default Worth joining an FHS a long way from home ?

I live near the borders of North Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, but my father's family come from NW Kent, and I have therefore purchased some of material from the NWKFHS (through the Parish Chest), and I've considered joining them in the past. However, I'm put off by the fact that I would never be able to attend any meetings or other events, so I'm not sure what I would gain (I realise that joining a FHS shouldn't really be about "What's in it for me ?", but I have limited resources), and not being local, I'm not sure what I could contribute other than the subscription.

Do any other B-G Forums members subscribe to FHS's a long way from home, and do they find it a worthwhile experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    I live near the borders of North Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, but my father's family come from NW Kent, and I have therefore purchased some of material from the NWKFHS (through the Parish Chest), and I've considered joining them in the past. However, I'm put off by the fact that I would never be able to attend any meetings or other events, so I'm not sure what I would gain (I realise that joining a FHS shouldn't really be about "What's in it for me ?", but I have limited resources), and not being local, I'm not sure what I could contribute other than the subscription.

Do any other B-G Forums members subscribe to FHS's a long way from home, and do they find it a worthwhile experience ?

I joined the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS for a time, without being able to do anything more than visit their reading room once every few years. At that time, everything was still on film or fiche, so I couldn't even help with transcriptions or do anything else for them. I worked out that, international postal charges on the newsletter being what they were, I was costing them more than I was paying them, and resigned, regretfully.

I think these things are specific to the person and the individual FHS, though. I found the ANES newsletter very useful, the people very friendly and they did a lookup service for members - you'd have to see what NWK offers.

Lesley

I belong to the society that covers the area where I live and to two societies where my ancestors lived. I also belong to the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain.
    I have received so much help and information from the distant societies as well as the regular Journals and I could not have learnt as much as I have about my ancestors without the help of the members of these societies.
    My way of repaying this help is to take an active part in my local society and to help people who live a long way away from here with their research.
    Every society is different but each one has members who are like me and only want to put something back into this addicti.... hobby.
    I say join the society, ask the questions you need to ask and also ask how you can help them.
    Without the FH societies there would have been no 1881 census transcription for the LDS church. They wouldn't have been able to put it onto microfiche and later onto CD and then the internet and our hobby would still be struggling.
    We owe such a lot to the pioneers of our societies...

~glances around then climbs down off her soapbox~

You get the idea that I am a great advocate of FH societies.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

JenniLl

My family roots are in Surrey and West Wales, so I belong to the FHS covering those areas - I'm too far away to attend any meetings but I find that the journals are interesting and in the past I have made contact with fellow researchers.
    What I wonder about is the gradual revelation of my family being in Middlesex, Devon, Suffolk, Hampshire, Kent - not to mention my son's Father's family in Somerset, London and Scotland. Now, my present husband's family, Scotland, Sussex, Oxfordshire and Somerset (so far!)
    I cannot join all the FHSs so I rely on Genes RU and now BG for my contacts.
    I belong to the Friends of Somerset Archives, so can help by transcribing the Tithe Apportionments.
    Jenni

NickM

Thanks everyone for their comments. I will certainly bear them in mind, and will consider joining the NWKFHS soon

LynA

I live in Hampshire but joined Gwent FHS to find out more about the background of one branch of my family.
    One very kind gentleman spotted my interests and, despite knowing I could not give him extra information in exchange, sent me lots of useful facts. He still sends me snippets of information for which I am very grateful.
    A new friend: a definite plus from joining another society.

Lynda

v.wells

I joined Devon FHS and I can't attend meetings but they have a good web bb where you can post q&a specific to Devon. They also have quarterly magazine that is extremely interesting. I also have roots in Kent but have managed so far not to join the NWKFHS, although I will when my Devon stuff dries up I suppose. I also have to take in the exchange rate so now may be a good time to do it - I will have to figure out the conversion

*bunty*

I joined the Clwyd FHS in North Wales and I am in Queensland, Australia. A few months back I received a phone call from a member of that FHS offering to help with a brickwall I had posted in their newsletter, Hel Achau. Now I am one of several trying to break this wall, but in two months it took this one kind woman to visit local records offices and present me with new information that noone else has discovered. She has helped partially break the brickwall. I am so grateful for her help and glad to have joined that particular FHS .

Knowledgeable and helpful

I joined the Kent fhs as my ancestors came from Gillingham there was an article about some photographic plates that had been found in a pigsty in Wye Kent. the surname of the photographer was one I was intersted in
    After about a year I was able to meet and stay with the daughter of this person (having been told she had died some years before!!!!!!) We are firms friends and she has again put flesh to bones of her branch of the family another cousin found. Always worth joining, this one is particularly good as they have good links with Medway archives. City ark

Keith Daniells

Cool

I have joined several FHS in England as I find that it is invaluble to have contacts in those areas that you can draw info from. Likewise being in Australia I may be able to return the favour. Its all part and partial of your research. The more you spread your wings the greater area you will cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast