Kate Terry

Question Quarter sessions look up pls (Finchley area)

Hi all on the Middlesex list...

Would anyone have access to the Quarter Sessions records for the Finchley area?

I'm trying to find out whether the father of an illegitimate ancestor of mine was "named & shamed"!

My illegitimate ancestor was a chap called Harman Grisewood MIDDLETON, born 1840. His mother was Caroline MIDDLETON, and his birthplace on the birth certificate is listed as Hog Market, Finchley. Father's info is blank.

There was a chap called Harman GRISEWOOD in the area but I haven't been able to prove / disprove he is the father of my ancestor and I'm hoping the quarter sessions might hold the key.

I also haven't been able to find out where Harman Middleton was baptised - any ideas on churches in the area at the time?

Any and all help most gratefully received.

With many thanks for your time,
    Kate

Reputation beyond repute

I would strongly recommend the book "My Ancestor was a Bastard" by Ruth Paley. Parish Chest can supply it.

I think what you're asking for a bit more than a lookup - it's probably quite a considerable search.

My advice is to check the parish registers first. Finchley parish church sounds like a good place to start.

Secondly investigate the survival of relevant Poor Law records for the appropriate Poor Law Union. If the records have survived this will most probably be the easiest place to find what you want.

Presumably, the mother didn't subsequently marry a Grisewood!

Kate Terry

Hi Peter -

Thanks for the recommended reading - I will get hold of a copy of it.

I didn't realise the lookup would be so big - apologies. I mistakenly assumed that as his DOB was known it would be straightforward - live and learn! I'll have to try to get to LMA to have a look at what they've got, and will def start with the parish registers as you suggest.

Many thanks
    Kate