Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    perisama

Smile East Surrey help

I put this in a reply on a thread by mistake.. so here it is again on a new thread

I e-mailed a lovely lady from Kent FHS regarding a birth and marriage look up from mid 1700's and she was soooooooo helpful and didn't make me join up, pay or even ask for a pint of blood!

But.... can anyone out there help me with East Surrey? I have some delving needed regarding Caterham, Godstone and Lingfield but if I spend any more money on my research I think i will end up being divorced by His Nibs who does not understand what or why I spend hours and hours at this. He's got no soul (but he does all the shopping and cooking, you are all invited to dinner on Sunday by the way. He will be so pleased!!

I digress, sorry. Anyway I basically am scrounging I suppose for anyone who can help.

p.s. Dinner is at 6pm

Reputation beyond repute

www.
    eastsurreyfhs.org.uk

Thomasin

I would have thought that much of your information in Surrey would be housed in the Croydon Archives (at least in microfiche form), and I would be only too pleased to do some lookups for you, if need be. See what the East Surrey FHS can come up with, and if you need help in Croydon, just let me know.

What's for dinner?

Thomasin

perisama

Smile

Hi Thomasin... How about nice bit of Roast Beef???
    Help? Yes please. Need to look up marriage of

George Pratt (May 15 1764, Hayes,Kent - May 10 1850 Caterham)
    to
    Elizabeth Woolgar (Jan 5th 1774, Lingfield - May 19th 1850, Caterham)

First 3 children Mary, 1812,
    Sarah Ann,1814
    William, 1816 were all born in Lingfield
    Elizabeth was georges 2nd wife accordng to old stuff I have from my mum, 1st wife was a Mary Edgar or Moore????

See what you come up with and you can have an extra helping of pudding

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by perisama View Post
    Need to look up marriage of

George Pratt (May 15 1764, Hayes,Kent - May 10 1850 Caterham)
    to
    Elizabeth Woolgar (Jan 5th 1774, Lingfield - May 19th 1850, Caterham)

First 3 children Mary, 1812,
    Sarah Ann,1814
    William, 1816 were all born in Lingfield
    Elizabeth was georges 2nd wife accordng to old stuff I have from my mum, 1st wife was a Mary Edgar or Moore????
    These dates don't quite support what you have, but the new Surrey Marriage Index (West Surrey FHS) has the following marriages

Lingfield
    22 Nov 1787
    George PRATT = Mary EDGAR

Lingfield
    8 Feb 1812
    George PRATT = Elizabeth WOOLGER
    by Licence

No further details in the index. For more information you will probably need to consult the original registers (or films thereof). I should think these would be at the Surrey History Centre in Woking rather than Croydon?

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice

Alternatively, LDS seem to have filmed the marriages up to 1812, so a copy of their film could be ordered into your local LDS Family History Centre.

Kerrywood

Thomasin

There's a coincidence here - Hayes is just round the corner from where I live.

Kerrywood is right, Woking would definitely have these records, but there's just a chance that Croydon might have the films, as Caterham and Godstone are in that area, though Lingfield is a bit further out. I'm not doing anything else tomorrow, so I could go and find out.

Can we have horseradish?

Thomasin

perisama

this is looking interesting.... playing caluki (how do you spell that?) Back in the morrow Night night x

perisama

Default It is looking ok actually

On my records there is confusion with mary edgar and a fictitious mary moore, which I will now ignore.
    Now bear with me a moment, this is muddly.

George was born 1764 and married at the age of 23 Mary Edgar(b 1766and age 21 at marriage)

No offspring noted from this marriage in my tree.....

Then ,.. death, divorce or something like aliens and george re-married , had kiddies

Elizabeth Woolgar b 1774 married (by licence)George in 1812 age 38,

George is now 48/ and they had happy times and bore offspring

Tried to add attachment of old scripts of family with dates of elizabeth and mary etc but it is too big . If anyone is interested I can send it via pm

Total respect to you all forever

perisama

Thomasin... I have it , ( and horse radish)..... Mary Moore on my old stuff from the ramblings of clearly an old senile woman is a red herring that I hooked by mistake and it was Mary Edgar after all !!!!!!!!!!! You can have twenty Yorkshire Puddings XXX
    I have among my ancient papers the bits that can be read from Lingfield old church paves, and something about a weatern end .... again, I can e-mail attachment to you if you wish . I can't read half of it and that is clearly what I need to decifer to get to Mary Edgar's past... It is all there somewhere. Right under my nose the whole time and I have been dismissing it!!!!!!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default It is looking ok actually

Quote Originally Posted by perisama View Post
    George was born 1764 and married at the age of 23 Mary Edgar(b 1766and age 21 at marriage)

No offspring noted from this marriage in my tree.....

Then ,.. death, divorce or something like aliens and george re-married , had kiddies

Elizabeth Woolgar b 1774 married (by licence)George in 1812 age 38,

George is now 48/ and they had happy times and bore offspring
    I said above that the dates I found in the marriage index don't support what you have, but in fact they do. I realised that after posting, but the new protocol had whipped the Edit button away before I could change it

Kerrywood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast