Thread: which cd bmd

aussie01

Default which cd bmd

Good evening all,

Having hit a brick wall with my family decided probably best to order a cd with the bmd parish records.
    Family is bryant/briant lived in sarratt, then chipperfield then bovingdon. My grand father owned street farm and water lane farm. Am back to 1789-1873 daniel bryant married to elizabeth jordan in chenies, bucks. They lived in sarratt and are buried there and mentioned on the memorial at the church. Have searched the internet and discovered many bryants married at chenies, bucks and there is a connection with sarratt so i am guessing family. William is a name that has continued from 1812 until now, as my son is called william after my father. So i am guessing i am looking for a william born in the 1700's. I looked at the parish chest for bmd sarratt and they only have the 1941 census, that i have as i am a member of ancestry. Is there any where else i could access parish records for sarratt? As many of the records show chenies i am thinking maybe the family moved from say rickmansworth area to sarratt, in 1789 sarratt had only a population of around 200. So i was thinking perphaps it would be worth investing in the cd for chenies but there is only marriages on the parish chest not births and deaths. Would the marriages show details of father etc or only names? i live in holland so i am unable to get to england to do any decent research.

Best Regards yvette.

Clive Blackaby

Hello Yvette,

At risk of being shouted at, (there are many who quite rightly say that it contains too many inaccuracies to the point of flights of fantasy) I'm going to suggest that unless you've already done so, start off with IGI https://www.familysearch.org/eng/sear...lear_form=true

A lot of the info you will find will be spurious - you must always check back to the originals - and not everything is on there, but it will give you a good "entry", and from my experience anything which is a transcript of Hertfordshire Parish Registers will be reasonably accurate. You still need to check it, but it will fairly quickly give you something to check if you have nothing to start with.

Next step, on the same website, you will find

a) An index of all parish records held by the LDS - they have pretty much everything for Hertfordshire on microfilm or fiche and
    b) The addresses of all LDS family history centres internationally where you can order the films / fiches usually on a 4 or 13 week loan to be viewed on their premises

There is also Chris Reynolds Hertfordshire Genealogy site which has a wealth of info - Chris is more on "your" side of Hertfordshire than "mine" https://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.c...isreynolds.htm

petercornish

Hi Yvette,

The Sarratt Parish Records are held at HALS. If you can give precise details of the various look-ups, I will gladly make the necessary searches on my next visit to Hertford.

Regards .,.. Peter

aussie01

Good evening all,

First thank everyone for the tips. With regard to familysearch, I have spent hours searching every briant/Bryant and come up pretty empty handed. Daniel was not a popular name amongst the bryants in this period in this area so one would assume that there would be some information to be found. I have done ancestry and rootsweb and about everyother site I can think of. There are a number of briants born/christened in chenies bucks. Keeping in mind chenies was the place to be christened as sarratt was to small or so I am informed. What I have found is the following there were two daniels born one in chenies one in 1769 and mine in 1789 in sarratt census 1851,1861. According to rootsweb Daniel 1769 married Mary Ann parker and they were transported to Australia. Parents were William and Mary. The information I have on Daniel 1789 was provided by dawn pitt of the herts historical society, so I have full confidence that the info is 99.9% correct. Daniel Bryant m Elizabeth Jordan (pallots marriage) parish chenies bucks 4 24/6/1811. On a memorial stone in the holy cross church yard at sarratt,and Parish Records Daniel Bryant buried Jan 6 1873 aged 84, died Jan 1 1873. Elizabeth Bryant nee Jordan died 31st July 1864, buried 4th aug 1864 ages 74. Simple maths he was born in 1789. So not Daniel 1769. Elizabeth had and illegitimate child baptised at sarratt James born 1/6/1808. Children of Daniel and Elizabeth William 5/7/1812, Joseph 1815, Jacob 1818, darcus 1826, sophia 1829, job 1832. Workin on the theary that the 1st born gets the fathers name I would say we are looking for a William????. I have been able to trace all the children,. Daniel is shown as an ag lab, possibly he owned his own piece of land. In 1841 they lived in sarratt green. The following are, I think, the most probable.
    Daniel Bryant m Mary deacon 27/3/1766 sarratt?
    William Bryant m Ann doughty 23/6/1779 sarratt?
    Samuel Bryant m Ann Edmonds 4/8/1777 sarratt?
    Perhaps this is all family, brothers???. There was mention in the family whispers of sawyers???

Peter it would be wonderful if you could have a look for me, I would really appreciate it, my other thought is to contact somebody to do some more digging for me, although I have heard that this can be very costly and they only dig to a certain extent. I don't have a problem making donations etc as I appreciate the time it can take but I need to know that I am paying my money to somebody who can really help me. I have heard some really dreadful stories about people who are taken for a ride and end up with nothing. So it you are unable to turn anything up is there a specific person/organisation who are reputable and would be able to help me.
    Sorry this is all soooo very long.

Regards yvette.

petercornish

Hi Yvette,

I searched the Sarratt PRs for baptisms for the period 1702-1810 and found but four entries relative to the Bryants or variants, viz ...
    Sarah d/o Abraham & Elizabeth BRIANT bn.29May1808 bap.03Jul1808.
    Hannah d/o Samuel & Ann BRYANT bn.18Jan1800 bap.23Feb1800.
    Sarah d/o Samuel & Ann BRYANT bn.31Jul1797 bap.27Aug1797.
    William s/o Samuel & Ann BRIANT bn.03Jul1794 bap.03Aug1794.

Regards ... Peter

aussie01

Default which cd bmd

Thanks very much peter for taking the trouble to check the records for me, i appreciate it very much, i am just itching to be able to go to the area and check all the various places myself.

some of the same names keep appearing, samuel, william, abraham, daniel and hannah and they are all around the same period between sarratt and chenies, bucks. I think my best bet is to contact the herts people and ask them to do a search for me and give them all the info that i have.

cheers yvette.

amore

Default Bryant

Hello
    My maternal ancestors were BRYANT and they originated in Rickmansworth.
    William was a common name at that time but it might be an idea to join the Hertfordshire Family History Society as they produce a magazine and surname interest page. Hertfordshire Record Office might also offer help - they are very friendly and helpful and it probably wouldn't cost too much. I have heard of a Daniel but don't have any more info. There is someone in the mag. who does research but I cannot remember his name. Good luck
    eileen

p.s. marriages in the 1700s (I think) do not give parents' names.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie01 View Post
    Good evening all,

Having hit a brick wall with my family decided probably best to order a cd with the bmd parish records.
    Family is bryant/briant lived in sarratt, then chipperfield then bovingdon. My grand father owned street farm and water lane farm. Am back to 1789-1873 daniel bryant married to elizabeth jordan in chenies, bucks. They lived in sarratt and are buried there and mentioned on the memorial at the church. Have searched the internet and discovered many bryants married at chenies, bucks and there is a connection with sarratt so i am guessing family. William is a name that has continued from 1812 until now, as my son is called william after my father. So i am guessing i am looking for a william born in the 1700's. I looked at the parish chest for bmd sarratt and they only have the 1941 census, that i have as i am a member of ancestry. Is there any where else i could access parish records for sarratt? As many of the records show chenies i am thinking maybe the family moved from say rickmansworth area to sarratt, in 1789 sarratt had only a population of around 200. So i was thinking perphaps it would be worth investing in the cd for chenies but there is only marriages on the parish chest not births and deaths. Would the marriages show details of father etc or only names? i live in holland so i am unable to get to england to do any decent research.

Best Regards yvette.