Valman

Default Thomas Courts, Master Mariners death

Hi,

My GGGrandfather Thomas Courts was born in 1793 in Fowey, Cornwall, he was a Master Mariner his last Brig being the "Glenalvon" most of his time he sailed to the West Indies from London. For some reason at the time of his death he was sailing as Mate on board the "Mary Mitcheson" as noted on his sons birth registration, l believe this Brig was sailing from London to Demerara,l have the actual date of his death 25/5/1847 as reported to The Merchant Seaman's Orphans Asylum in Bow, East London by his widow when she applied for 2 of their children to be admitted. l have contacted the archives for the orphanage and they have checked and the death was proved somehow but l can find nothing written down having checked most places.

l have the Crew Agreements for his other voyages from The National Archives but have been unable to locate the ones for the Mary Mitcheson online.

Has anyone got another ideas how l could find his death as lve run out of them l seem to have checked all deaths overseas and found nothing.

Thanking you, Valman.

Reputation beyond repute

See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=246

and the book Tracing Births, Deaths and Marriages at Sea by CT and MJ Watts (Society of Genealogists, 2004), you can get this through Parish Chest.

I would have thought 1847 is a bit early to find out any more than you already know.

Geoffers

I think you're unlikely to locate a death certificate.

Did he leve a will? (Try documentsonline) - This should mention date of death and possibly place.

Have you tried Lloyds register for the 'Mary Mitcheson'? If it is there, who owned her? Can the records of the ship's owner be traced? (these have sometimes changed hands several times as companies are bouight and sold).

Valman

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=246

and the book Tracing Births, Deaths and Marriages at Sea by CT and MJ Watts (Society of Genealogists, 2004), you can get this through Parish Chest.

I would have thought 1847 is a bit early to find out any more than you already know.
    Hi,

thank you Peter and Geoffers, l will try get hold of a copy of the book you advised, l still hope that if l can locate the Crew Agreements for the Mary Mitcheson and that his death will be noted on them.

l've looked for a will but not found one, which is strange as he left his widow with 5 young children. l do know that the vessel was owned by William Mitcheson & Co. of Limehouse,East London, but hadn't thought about trying to find the owners papers,l will try find if they are in existence.
    Thank you both for your advice,
    Valman.

Geoffers

I carried out a search on Access to Archives and got these results

Some of which appear to relate to your company - the records being held at the Guildhall Library, London.

You might also try a search of the London Gazette in case there is any record of the company having ceased trading; or a partnership being formed with another company, which in effect took over Mitcheson & co.

If your chap left a will, if might be in a number of places - I looked at documentsonline and found an entry for a Thomas COURTS of Fowey - but the year is wrong - could it be a relative?

Of course, where to find a will for your chap would depend on where it was proven - you might try the indexes to the death duty registers (covers wills and admons) which can be found on the pay-per-view site, 'findmypast'

Valman

Default THOMAS COURTS MASTER MARINERS DEATH

Thank You Geoffers,

lve had a look at those documents you found and there is one that refers to the Mary so l'll have to go to the Guildhall to see if l can find it.

Was wondering if maybe the Dockland Museum might have something on the company as well as it was based in Limehouse.

Will check the London Gazette out as well.

The will of Thomas Courts on The National Archives site is my Thomas's father my GGGGrandfather that was how l tracked down the rest of Thomas's family.

l've had at look on "Findmypast" and couldn't find a will for Thomas at all,though l wasn't sure where to look really, he spent his time sailing back and forth from London so l would have thought it would have been proven in London but didn't find one. l have thought that maybe his widow applied to Trinity House for a pension or help in someway because l understand they used to help mariners widows so another place to check.

Valman