Thread: HMS Scott

Fidgetsmum

Default HMS Scott

My husband's (distant) cousin was one of 23 who died when HMS Scott was torpedoed and sunk on 15.8.1918. I've found some basic information, where built, displacement, armament etc., but I'm hoping to find a bit more detail, even though her career was short, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Geoffers

It depends on the information you are after. The Navy List is interesting reading and some copies can be purchased from The Parish Chest - though as the ship didn't last long, they may not have a copy covering the period before she was sunk. Incomplete runs of the Navy List can sometimes be found at larger reference libraries. TNA has a complete run of the publication.

This TNA file deals with her loss and casualties

There are a couple of ships' logs also at TNA - Scott in ADM53

You can request cpies via TNA.

Use a search engine and look for 'Battleships-Cruisers' - look at Royal Navy entries and search for Scott, they have a photo of the ship.

What sort of information are you after?

Procat

This may be her.

Found on the Old Steamships site.

Fidgetsmum

Thank you both for the feedback. I have that image thank you Geoffers - I was just after some general information really, her CO, crew numbers etc.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetsmum
    I was just after some general information really, her CO, crew numbers etc.
    CO I don't have, you'd find that in The Navy List from early 1918 or htge Ship's logs.

Crew numbered 164.

Fidgetsmum

That's great - thank you very much.

Just for info, I have just discovered from "British Warship Losses in the Iron Clad Era 1816 - 1919" by David Hepper her Captain was Hon. William Spencer Leverson-Gower (this information kindly provided by someone on another forum).
    Last edited by Fidgetsmum; 08-11-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: updated information