Steve C

Default Whitechapel marriage for 1816.

I am trying to find where an ancestor may have come from or where they lived or who his father was.

Thomas Sharp (1792 to 1838 ) married Eleanor Burt, Whitechapel 1816 according to Pallots.

Which Record Office would I need to contact to view the original entry and what information apart from the above would it give me?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Steve

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think you will find the London Metropoliton Archives LMA will have copies of this area, if you can visit they have lots of records.
    Ones I have have only had names of bride & groom and if of the parish and names of witnesses who could be fathers or someimes siblings

sandie

Mutley

The Pallot's entry has

Burt Eleanor, spinster
    Thos Sharp, bachelor of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
    by Licence,
    St Mary, Whitechapel

I think the records for St Mary, Whitechapel are with the East of London FHS but you would need to check.

Steve C

Hi Sandie,

I`ll contact the London Metropolitan Archives to see if someone can check the records for me as I live in Norfolk and don`t visit London very often.

Hi Mutley,

You`ve provided me with a little more information already, I didn`t know they
    married at St Mary, Whitechapel. I will also contact East of London FHS to see if this information is available on disc or whether I have to become a member.

Thankyou both for your interest and for taking the time to reply.

Steve

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I`ll contact the London Metropolitan Archives
    £40 an hour.

Steve C

Thanks for that information Peter,

Thats probably made my mind up as I can get a return train ticket for less money. So it looks like a day out in London.

Steve

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    £40 an hour.
    It would be a lot cheaper to hire the LDS film of the register. You can order and view the film for yourself at any LDS Family History Centre. There is apparently a centre in Kings Lynn, though the opening hours are limited and it would be wise to contact them first to confirm.

According to the Vicar-General's Marriage Licence index, the licence was issued on 22 May 1816, so the marriage is likely to have been shortly after that. The original register should confirm the details you have from Pallot's index. The only additional information you are likely to get is the date and the names of two witnesses, who may be relatives but not necessarily.

Should you be thinking of visiting the LMA in person, it is closed until 17 November.

Kerrywood

Steve C

Hiya Kerrywood,

Thankyou very much for your reply. The information and detail you enclose sounds like the best and cheapest option. I`ll contact the local LDS Family History Centre on Monday to ask about details for ordering the film.

I`m hoping one of the parents could be one of the witnesses as I`m having trouble locating a birth/christening for Thomas Sharp. I don`t know where he came from or who his parents were thats why I was hoping the marriage details might give me a clue.

Many sincere thanks for your help and advice Steve

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I can get a return train ticket for less money.
    That's what I suspected. Assuming that you've built up a list of several things to be looked up or searched for, it could turn into a productive day out.