Famous for offering help & advice

Default tracing ships records

I have the name of a possible relative on the 1891 census on the vessel
    "express"in lincolnshire. He was listed as MASTER . How can I trace any further info or records?Any help appreciated.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster
    I have the name of a possible relative on the 1891 census on the vessel "express"in lincolnshire. He was listed as MASTER . How can I trace any further info or records?Any help appreciated.
    First off, what sort of vessel was this?

If you don't know - go back to the census entry and look at the page prior to that which carries the personal details. You'll find on the schedule details of the home port, size and type of vessel, what trade it was on or use to which the vessel was put. (If you get totally stuck finding it, give us the details of your chap and I'll see if I can locate it for you).

Hi ,have looked at census and cannot see wwhat type of ship etc, perhaps you can help!
    Joseph Storey dob 1850c.
    Vessel; express.
    can see only 3 people listed on board and one listed as a prisoner!!!

Geoffers

Your chap appears on RG12/2635 f142 p1.

Looking at the previous page; it records that Express was

Port or place to which she belongs: Lincoln
    Tonnage: 90 tons
    Description: Sailing (Barge)
    How employed: General Cargo
    Master: Storey, Joseph

Position at Midnight on 5th April 1891: Off Gainsbro in River Trent

The schedule was delivered to Torksey Lock - which is where the Trent joins the canal to Lincoln

The vessel had no official number and would seem to have been used on the Trent and the canal up to Lincoln.

thanks for the help with looking at the census, I never seem to be able to find as much info when I look!!!!

JulieW

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    thanks for the help with looking at the census, I never seem to be able to find as much info when I look!!!!
    Glad I'm not the only one who has problems finding things on the Census. It always amazes me when others come up with all sorts of info.

Good luck.

JulieW

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by JulieW
    Glad I'm not the only one who has problems finding things on the Census. It always amazes me when others come up with all sorts of info.
    It's just a case of being nosy and browsing through them. If you use the sites on the internet where you can search for individuals, there is a temptation to just look at the page containing the family for which you have searched. A lot of my searches are using CDs purchased via The Parish Chest - I index them as I browse through and learn all sorts about where a family lived; my only requirements for carrying this out are a comfy chair and a plentiful supply of tea and dunkers.