tiny

Default mrs. macalpine homes for unmarried mothers

please forgive me if i`ve posted this on the wrong site
    my nanna was born annie martyn 1st may 1909 in 43 webster street manchester which was a mrs. macalpine home for unmarried mothers
    i have annies birth cert and it give mother as edith martyn
    wot i want to know is are there any records for these homes and if so were do i look
    i need to find an age and birth place for edith martyn

Reputation beyond repute

The only similar entry in the Hospital Record Database is Macalpine Maternity Home, Belfield Lodge, Willow Bank, Manchester

The home was founded in 1890. By 1929 (at which time the secretary was a Miss Macalpine) the home was benefitting 55 mothers and 45 babies. Unmarried mothers of previous good character were received for their first confinement. Admission was by payment according to arrangement, with selection by committee. [1929 Burdett's Hospital and Charities].

Perhaps try UMIST: Guide to the Records of Health Services in the Manchester Area, 1981

tiny

thank you very much i`ll try that thanks

Mutley

Just as a long shot, I glanced at the census.

In 1891 there is an Edith Martyn born about 1882 in Heywood, daughter of John, without a mother living in the household but with Emily, her aunt. She has a 4 year old sister called Annie
    RG12; Piece: 3133; Folio 70; Page 12;

In 1901 she is the 19 year old niece of Emily and Annie is still there also.
    Class: RG13; Piece: 3643; Folio: 5; Page: 2.

I have no idea yet if she is yours but there are not that many Edith Martyn names in the Manchester area and she could have called her daughter after her sister.

It seems as if it is possible that this ones birth was registered in Dec 1881 in Bury, Greater Manchester 8c/465

tiny

yes i have found that edith too and also one in chester born umm think it was 1886
    but also on Annie`s birth cert it give edith as a servant ay 10 grange st. rusholme manchester and i think that house was owned by a mrs darbyshire ,but its driving me mad now that i cannot find which edith martyn she is.