Richard Miller

Default William Garrett - Winchester Cathederal

Dear BG Members,

I am seeking final confirmation that William Garrett was my Great Great Grandfather.
    I am almost certain of this, given that the Rev. William Whitehall Garrett my Great Grandfather received a scholarship to Oxford University (and is referred to the 1st son of William Garrett in the Oxford University Alumni records) as did my Great grandfather's brother the Rev. Henry Godden Garrett (also mentioned as the 2nd son of William Garrett in the Oxford Alumni records) and yet another of my great grandfather's brother's George Mursell Garrett received a similar scholarship but in his case to St. John's College Cambridge (mentioned as the 3rd son of William Garrett in the Cambridge University Alumni Records).

According to my resurches William Garrett married Ann Mursell.

The final piece in the jigsaw would be confirmation by William Garrett's will that these 3 brothers (and two sisters) were the children of William Garrett.

William Garrett (born 14th Dec 1788) spent most if not all of his working life from 1816, employed by Winchester Cathedral, as a lay vicar, almoner under the trustees of St. John the Baptist (for 40 years), and schoolmaster to the choristors.
    He retired as an elderly man well over 65 years in age and received a pension for Winchester Cathedral, and eventually died on 23rd July 1874.

According to the obituary in the Hampshire Chronicle of 1st Aug 1874, his funeral was well attended both by the the Cathedral Staff and the the poor of Winchester who were used to receiving alms from him (as almoner).
    The Cathedral Choir sang at his Grave in the Parish of St. Maurice, Winchester.

According to the Hampshire Chronicle he left 3 sons and 2 daughters to mourn his loss, all of whom followed him to his grave.
    I have written to and visited the Hampshire Record Office but no will could be found.

I believe a will if I could find one, would confirm the names of the 3 sons and 2 daughters.

I have in the past contacted the Hampshire record office and the Court of probate without success.

Any advice about sources of such a will would be gratefully appreaciated.

Regards

Richard

Colin Moretti

When you say
    I have in the past contacted the Hampshire record office and the Court of probate without success.
    do you mean that they have not replied or that they have replied but they were unable to find a will? The National Probate Service will carry out a search:
    ... write to York and ask for a search: £5 (This covers the four year period from the date of death). There is a further search fee of £3 for each subsequent 4 year period searched. If a grant is traced, the fee includes a copy of the Will [if any], regardless of the number of pages, and copy of the grant.
    (see the National Probate Service website). Note that they require the fee up front. If they were unable to supply a will after a search over 5 years then either either there was no will proved or probate was delayed by more than 5 years. You can inspect the probate calendars yourself at no charge at most Probate Registries - see the above website for the location of the nearest one - or you can pay the extra fee to have the search extended.

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

For a death in 1874 the only source for a will (or administration) is the National Probate Service as described by Colin.

I might take issue with Colin about the availability of the calendars (very few registries have 19th century data). However you could try your nearest record office and library service who might have copies on fiche.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller
    Rev. William Whitehall Garrett my Great Grandfather received a scholarship to Oxford University (and is referred to the 1st son of William Garrett in the Oxford University Alumni records) as did my Great grandfather's brother the Rev. Henry Godden Garrett (also mentioned as the 2nd son of William Garrett in the Oxford Alumni records) and yet another of my great grandfather's brother's George Mursell Garrett received a similar scholarship but in his case to St. John's College Cambridge (mentioned as the 3rd son of William Garrett in the Cambridge University Alumni Records).
    Where were the above three brothers born? (Presumably prior to the commencement of civil registration) - Have you found parish register entries for their baptisms?

Also, for the above three, have you found their marriages, either in parish registers or in marriage certificates? What do they record? Were the marriages by licence or banns? Who were the witnesses?

William Garrett (born 14th Dec 1788).......eventually died on 23rd July 1874.
    From his death certificate, was by any chance the informant one of his sons?

According to the Hampshire Chronicle he left 3 sons and 2 daughters to mourn his loss, all of whom followed him to his grave.
    Are they all buried in one plot? Or are the family members mentioned in a memorial inscription?

Also, the 1861 census has William (bn c.1788) lwith several grandchildren - both GARRETT and HUMPHREYS. Can the GARRETT grandchildren be shown to be the sons of the three borthers you mentioned?

Richard Miller

Default William Garrett - Winchester Cathedral

Hi to Colin, Peter and Geoffers

Thanks for your replys and advice. I have tried the Hampshire Record office and the National Probate Service, but I could try Probate again and widen my search.

I have also been unable to locate a buirial place for William Garrett although I am certain it was in Winchester. I know that his sons weren't buiried with him however. I need to follow up Geoffers suggestions and seek baptism and or birth certificates for William Garrett's Children. I do have marriage certificates for 2 daughters both married in Winchester and two of his sons married in Devonport and Cambridge. All marriage Certificates are witnessed by William Garrett except my Great grandfather William Whitehall Garrett who married in Devonport (and was witnessed by his mother Anne Elizabeth Garrett I believe) and give his profession as Master of the Cathederal School in 1846, Lay Vicar in 1849, Attorney in 1852, and in 1860 Accountant (at Winchester Cathedral I am sure as he spent his whole working life employed there).

Thanks again for your advice

Best wishes

Richard