Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks Mitch, looks like a Skinner brick wall to join my Wilson one. My two main English lines. There is not one Frances Barton listed on IGI as being baptised in Nottinghamshire either. Doesn't look like I can trace my line back to Robin Hood then

Default John Skinner Baptism

Here we are 6 years later.... Looks like my brick wall now has a hole in it.

I noticed FMP has added Nottinghamshire Parish Records transcripts done by Nottinghamshire Family History society. I did a free search for my John and lo and behold.... John SKINNER born/baptised 1799 in South Muskham, father George. (I don't have a sub). I put mother Mary in the search query and the same baptism came up, along with Ann 1792 and Mary 1804 as above.
    So where did this come from? Ann and Mary show up on familysearch but not John. On further research I discovered familysearch info is from the Bishops Transcripts, and the film Mitch so kindly looked at is probably the same.
    I am presuming John was somehow missed when transferring the info from the parish register to the bishop transcripts.
    So NEVER give up hope. I am well chuffed

Brick wall demolition expert!

Wonderful.

Some of my earliest family records are parish records from Cardigan in the 1600s. The early family researchers (not me) poured over the microfilm copies at the National Library of Wales - and having had a pretty cursory look at them - am in awe of their patience.

However, some 40 - 50 years later the same records have been scanned and put on line at FMP, and having spend many hours zooming in and out, I have found records that they missed - the priests were very disorganised and set out to put as much ink as possible on one page.

So I whole heartedly agree with your never give up philosophy.

John SKINNER, Born 28 Dec 1799, baptised 29 Dec 1799 at St Wilfred, South Muskham, son of George & Mary.

Right if this is in the Parish Register I'm asking myself HOW did I miss it?

Nottinghamshire Archives is currently closed until the spring but the Central Library should have the parish on fiche so I will have a look at this for you in the next couple of weeks.

Hi Mitch
    When you are at the library :-), and if you have time ;-)
    There are two burials at South Muskham, George SKINNER in 1834 and Mary SKINNER in 1839. The calculated year of birth tallies with the ages for a couple who married in Oct 1891 by licence. The ages on the licence were 25 and 22.
    I am sure I am on the right track here as I have researched all known John SKINNERs born around 1800 in Notts! The first son of John Skinner and Frances Barton was named George, too.
    Many thanks.

Have made a note.
    George SKINNER buried 20 Jan 1834 aged 66.
    Mary SKINNER buried 14 Mar 1839 aged 69.

Shouldn't imagine you will get much more from the original beyond 'S.Muskham' in the abode column, but will have a look!

Thanks for that info. Don't bother looking for them in the registers. I forgot there is not much info on burial records besides age and abode.
    I just realised that Mary died at the beginning of registration, (Southwelll RD), so I will order her death certificate.

larkspur

The three children of George and Mary Skinner baptised in S Muskham are on the NFHS cd with their birth dates as well as baptisms.
    Anne bap 29-4-1792 born 25-4-1792 --Buried 13-11-1804 notes say "daughter of George & Mary died 10-11-1804"
    John bap 29-12-1799 born 28-12-1799 (oops just noticed Mitch already gave you this)
    Mary bap 17-6-1804 born 15-6-1804

Thanks for the extra information, Larkspur. I saw that burial in the index of an Ann SKINNER, but no other info.
    Poor Mary never married and died in Snenton "pauper lunatic asylum" in 1876, so John was the only one to produce a family.

I have checked the fiche of the actual register today. I can only presume I missed the 1799 baptism as it is a bottom entry and rather a poor fiche. Apologies.

Anyhow the three entries read exactly:

John son of George & Mary SKINNER born Decbr 28th Baptised 29th 1799.
    Mary SKINNER. South Muskham. March 14 1839. 69years.
    George SKINNER. South Muskham. Jan 20 1834. 66years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast