Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The will

feeder

Default The will

Hi

I've just received the will of my great grandadx6, but I can't read a thing! I was just wondering if there is a place where you can send it to be translated into modern English?? It was written in 1783, and I can only pick out a few words.

Thanks!
    Lee

Davran

Is it very long? Maybe you could scan it and post it on here (only don't ask me how to do that!). There are lots of people who are good at old handwriting and could decipher it for you.

Reputation beyond repute

As Davran says...

But of course if it's already in electronic form, all you have to do is tell us the URL...

feeder

Thanks everyone

I will try and post it hear,bear with me its not very clear on how to do this.thanks Lee

feeder

Gutted,Ive scaned the will in jpeg but it won't upload,it keeps saying the file has failed.I'd be very gratefull if someone could point me in the right direction.thanks Lee

Jan1954

Follow Mary's instructions here.

feeder

May have done it....

PLease..if anyone can help me with the god awful writing on this....many thanks, Lee

Reputation beyond repute

That's surely a pdf file from Documents Online.

Is there any chance you can just make the pdf file available on a website and just give us the URL? It will make it easier for us to read.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This is the last Will and Testament of me Daniel Tarling of Campions in the parish of Epping in the County of Essex Farmer First I will and direct that all just Debts which may happen to be due or owing by or from me at the time of my decease shall be fully paid and satisfied and subject thereto and to the payment of my Funeral Expences and the Charges of proving this my Will then as for all the rest residue and remainder of my Personal Estate and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever and of whatever the same shall or may then consist I give and bequeath the same and every part thereof unto my now dear and loving Wife Ann Tarling for and during the Term of her natural life or for and during so long time and such part thereof only as she shall remain my Widow and keep herself sole and unmarried the better to enable her to bring up and maintain such of my children as shall not be capable of getting their own livelyhood and from and immediately after the decease of my said Wife or her Marriage again with any other Person whichever of the said events shall first happen then I give and bequeath all the rest and residue of my s[ai]d Personal Estate and Effects unto and amongst my now eight children Daniel James William Thomas Mary Elizabeth Sarah and Ann or to the Survivors of them equally between them share and share alike for their own respective use and to be at their own absolute disposal and lastly I do hereby nominate and appoint my said Wife Ann Tarling and my said eldest Son Daniel Executors of this my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I the said Daniel Tarling have to this my last Will and Testament contained in one sheet of paper set my Hand and Seal this fifth day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty three <Daniel Tarling> [seal] Signed Sealed and Published by the said Daniel Tarling as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our Names as Witnesses thereto in the presence of the said Testator and at his request <Tho Lincoln> of Epping Butcher <John Evans> Clerk to Mr Walkely Att[orne]y at Epping.

This Will was proved at London the seventh day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty three before the Worshipful Andrew Colter? Ducaret Doctor of Laws Surrogate of the Right Worshipful Peter Calvert also Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the oath of Ann Tarling Widow the Relict of the Deceased and one of the Executors named in the said Will to whom Administration was granted of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the said Deceased [2 lines deleted] having been first sworn duly to Administer Power reserved of making the like grant to Daniel Tarling the son of the said Deceased and the other Executor named in the said Will when he shall apply for the same

[marginal note]
    On the 18th day of Aug[u]st 1809 Adm[inistrati]on (with the Will annexed) of the Goods Chattels and Credits of Daniel Tarling late of Campions in the parish of Epping in the County of Essex dec[ease]d left unad[ministere]d by Ann Tarling Widow dec[ease]d whilst living the Relict one of the Executors and Residuary legatee during Life or Widowhood named in the said Will was granted to James Tarling the Son and one of the Residuary Legatees substituted in the said Will having been first sworn duly to Adm[iniste]r The said Ann Tarling dying Intestate and Daniel Tarling the Son and other Ex[ecut]or named in the said Will dying without having taken upon himself the Probate and Execution thereof

feeder

Wow

Kerrywood,what can i say,thank you very much for taking time out to do that for me your a star.Sorry to be a pain but was that both pages i cant make it out.

many thanks

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast