Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bumblebee

Hi Hall/Swann

Sorry I have not found any mention of the daughters on the sites that I have access to.

Bumblebee

Hall/Swan

Default Thank you

Thanks for trying. The only date is Maggie born 1890.

As there were JP's in the family it is not unusual in these times. It's quite a colourful history and just need to sort out the threads!

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

"How did James Swann have a son in law James Swann??" Looks like cousins married. Can anyone "enlighten" me please??
    Sometimes the term son-in-law meant step-son - but not in this case - James is quite clearly the son-in-law of James SWANN after he married his daughter. I would not take a bit of notice of the variation in spelling the surnames. Presuming that the article refers to the same people of course

" .. On the 3d March last, at Brooklin, New York, by the Rev. Mr. JOHNSTON,
    _*James SWAN,*_ Esq., of No. 150 Prospect street, in that city, eldest son of Robert SWANN, Esq., of Dromore Lodge, county Monoghan,
    _*to Miss Mary SWANN;*_ late of Cotehill, only daughter of James SWANN,... "
    ChristineR

Hall/Swan

Thanks for reply.

The spellings are a bit of a problem as some of his daughters use one "n" and others two "n"'s. makes trying to track them a bit awkward at times.

Trying to find the family of Robert SWANN, Esq., of Dromore Lodge, county Monoghan (correct spelling = Monaghan) James is the eldest son of William Swann Esq, Joseph is the second son of Robert Swann Esq, of Dromore Lodge, County Monaghan, married to Dora, fourth daughter of Stuart Boyd Esq, Clontubret, County Monaghan.

and also the family of James SWANN, of Cotehill...one daughter Mary, any sons? Any other brothers of James also.

Cotehill. Coot Hill or Cootehill?? Yes, 3 places!!

A very illusive family, think I'll write a book "The Flight of the Swans!!" or "One flew over the Swan's Nest?"

Then there is the Belfast Thursday July 25th 1867 Death announcement;

James Swann, July 23rd July 1867 at the residence of his Son In Law Mr James Swann of Warrenpoint, James Swann Esq of Crosslea House County Monaghan, deeply and deservedly lamented. His remains will be removed for internment in Clones? this (Thursday) morning the 25th instance.

Luckily God made plenty of N's!!

Think I'll go down to the local park and put up signs....DON'T FEED THE SWANNS!!

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Cotehill. Coot Hill or Cootehill?? Yes, 3 places!!
    I would imagine that it is the one place - you say all three names out aloud, and then imagine accents - people were not so finicky about spelling back then, in fact I doubt there was even a concept such as 'correct' spelling

PS - I removed the duplicate post.
    ChristineR

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    I would imagine that it is the one place - you say all three names out aloud, and then imagine accents - people were not so finicky about spelling back then, in fact I doubt there was even a concept such as 'correct' spelling

PS - I removed the duplicate post.
    Oh..... there was a duplicate post????? Why didn't you tell me!! I thought it was the drink!!

Coot Hill is near Glaslough, Coote Hill is on the Coote Estate, and Cootehill is in Co Cavan.... so imagine all you like!!

Some others of my lot come from Aughnacloy but there are two Augnacloys about 10 miles apart. More from Coolkill and Coolhill....then there is Tydavnet and Tidavnet..so Miss Spellings are easy to find...

Oh why oh why can't they be Jones from Wales????

P.S. I only posted this once.......

Hall/Swan

Getting there slowly....my direct line below...the cousins look more interesting!!

Swan family 1901 census (ages at previous birthday).
    >>>
    >>> Joseph: 50.........
    >>> Mary Jane: 40.........._*Maiden name?*_?
    >>> James: 15
    >>> Frances: 13
    >>> Margaret: 11
    >>> David: 9
    >>> Norah: 7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12