Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Hall/Swan View Post

I hope this gives you some idea of what is available!
    One of the functions of the newsgroups and forums is to help people who can't get to the actual archives, isn't it?

There was a lot of talk about a year (?) ago on the soc.genealogy groups about a new Irish Family History Centre that was going to collect all remaining useful info from North and South to make it available to the diaspora.. One report I read was so glowing that it gave the imrpression that they thought they could rebuild the collection of burned records!

Did nothing come of it? Your comments make me grateful I'm mostly scots!
    Lesley

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    One of the functions of the newsgroups and forums is to help people who can't get to the actual archives, isn't it?

There was a lot of talk about a year (?) ago on the soc.genealogy groups about a new Irish Family History Centre that was going to collect all remaining useful info from North and South to make it available to the diaspora.. One report I read was so glowing that it gave the imrpression that they thought they could rebuild the collection of burned records!

Lesley
    It is getting there piece by piece but it is slow due to checks, double checks etc.

One also has to understand that many many people are simply untraceable.

During the great famine (1840's) nearly 1 million Irish people died, many of these along the side of roads, Cromwell drove people off their land and told them to "Go to Connacht or Die".

Catholic schools etc were not permitted, marriages had to be sanctioned by the British. Many of their children did not exist on any records.

There are many many Mass Graves in Ireland where the people who died of starvation were just buied. no one knew who they were or where they came from!

Many of the records that were actually made were destroyed by the British Forces before leaving an area. Many more destroyed during the 1916 and 1922 rebellions.

There are almost 1 million people who are the "disappeared" and they will be untraceable.
    Last edited by Hall/Swan; 27-10-2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post

Lesley
    I suggested Rozzie to google the Cork website of Irish Family History Foundation under "Mallow Heritage Centre". As it's a commercial site I've been pulled up on providing a link before, hence the backdoor approach! But from my experience with it, it's excellent for parish records RC and COI, when outside the GRO records. I think the questions you've outlined Lesley will be very helpful in helping Rozzie (and us!) find out what she needs.
    Cheers,
    Summer.

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I suggested Rozzie to google the Cork website of Irish Family History Foundation under "Mallow Heritage Centre". As it's a commercial site I've been pulled up on providing a link before, hence the backdoor approach! But from my experience with it, it's excellent for parish records RC and COI, when outside the GRO records. I think the questions you've outlined Lesley will be very helpful in helping Rozzie (and us!) find out what she needs.
    Cheers,
    Summer.

Shhhh, we don't want her to know we are nosey!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hall/Swan View Post
    It is getting there piece by piece but it is slow due to checks, double checks etc.

One also has to understand that many many people are simply untraceable.

There are almost 1 million people who are the "disappeared" and they will be untraceable.

Not much hope of me finding my GUILFOYLES then, especially when I don't know where they came from or where they lived just that they were the parents of my Great grandfather and his brother who were actors. ~sigh~ We Irish are good at the sorrowful stuff
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Starting to feel at home

https://
    books.google.co.uk/books?id=8b4eREmqNj0C&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=painte r+family+cork&source=bl&ots=twch_bvwMQ&sig=wtRDtcD xbzBmU88w3iUQVK3cIDI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GXB6T670I8er8QP-5cyPBQ&ved=0CFoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=painter%20famil y%20cork&f=false

Proves a connection with the name and Cork..nothing in 1911 but this for 1901 don't forget to click show all info box

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...hildrenLiving=
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 04-04-2012 at 6:23 AM. Reason: live links to commercial sites not allowed

Hall/Swan

Default England born ones on 1911 Census

Quote Originally Posted by suzannewozere2 View Post
    https://
    books.google.co.uk/books?id=8b4eREmqNj0C&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=painte r+family+cork&source=bl&ots=twch_bvwMQ&sig=wtRDtcD xbzBmU88w3iUQVK3cIDI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GXB6T670I8er8QP-5cyPBQ&ved=0CFoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=painter%20famil y%20cork&f=false

Proves a connection with the name and Cork..nothing in 1911 but this for 1901 don't forget to click show all info box

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...hildrenLiving=
    There are England born ones on 1911 Census.. https://
    goo.gl/JBs5k[/ but as for a Cork link, nothing!

1901 ones b. England https://
    goo.gl/T8ST1
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 04-04-2012 at 6:25 AM. Reason: Live links to commercial sites with advertising not allowed

Rozzie

Default Update on Emma Painter

The trials and tribulations of family history research are blatantly obvious here.

With the help of a determined researcher (bless him) I finally got to the history of Emma. She was the illigitimate daughter of Mary Painter, born in 1838 in the village of Shapwick in Dorset. Because she was illigitimate, she invented a whole new world of her own. I have found out that this was not uncommon for a 'base born' child to do this. It is possible that her Father was an itinerant Irish Farm Labourer. She could not read or write, so all that she knew of Ireland would have been heard from others. Mary moved to Poole and in the 1851 Census, I ignored a child called EMILY and thought that family was not the right one, but it was.

She was so good at creating this story, she was able to maintain it for generations and it was passed down as 'fact'. I did think it was odd that at her marriage, she claimed her Father to be a Joseph Painter, a Farmer of Shapwick. Not a labourer, but a farmer. Her Grandfather had a brother called Joseph who died in his 20's, long before Emma was born, so I guess thats where she got it from. I have only been able to trace the Painters to Chettle and another brick wall arises. So that is the story of Emma.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help - what a little minx she was but I fully understand where she was coming from.

Roz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123