Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ET in the USA

Default Does 'Natural Son' mean illegitimate ?

It seems like this has been covered before, but my B-G search doesn't find it.

Looking on FreeREG at baptisms, several have the Note: Natural son or Natural daughter. For example: Elizabeth, Female, Mother: Mary Able, Note: Natural daughter. In fact, for this mother, Mary Able, 2 are like the above & the 3rd says "Fathers occupation: spinster"

Also a burial shows James son of Martha Jordan , infant, Note: natural son. Another burial shows, William son of Matilda Jordan, infant, Note: Natural son: widow.

It sounds to me like it is a term used for illegitimacy, however the same church also wrote on a baptism: Note: Base Born child. Do these all mean the same thing ? In every case, no fathers name is on the register record.

Thanks

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA
    It sounds to me like it is a term used for illegitimacy, however the same church also wrote on a baptism: Note: Base Born child. Do these all mean the same thing ? In every case, no fathers name is on the register record.
    Base-born, natural, - illegitimate

pottoka

Post One of the many synonyms

Yes, "natural child" does mean illegitimate.

So does base-born, father unknown and lovechild. And bastard!

You can also find reputed child of and supposed child of (a named person).

ET in the USA

Thanks, I was pretty sure I was correct, but wanted confirmation, especially since natural -vs- adopted could be another meaning.
    Elaine

v.wells

Even natural, baseborn, bastard - illegitimate, I still equate natural son/daughter as the "legal blood" of the mother as a female is the only one who can give birth.

Peter_uk_can

We have baptism records (1811 Canada) that clearly read, "Natural Son of ******* "

The baptisms took place after the father was married to a 19 year old bride a month earlier. The children aged from 3 - 10 years. The groom is described as being single.

The description is recognised by many to mean that the children were the product of another relationship. In this case it was extremely likely to have been an Indian woman and there had been no Christian wedding.

Footnote: Whether the natural mother had died has long been a topic of speculation.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

Normally things like that are stated if a child was baptised after one of the real parents had died etc and the mother or father had remarried and was not the real parent then they probably did only baptise the child or children on their own. If both parents are listed, then they usually were the real parents.

Ben