Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Peter_uk_can

Thanks Adele, you are a star. I had looked through Collections Canada, but didn't get to that page..

Thanks also to Vanessa for your message.

Brick wall demolition expert!

My simple request for "my father's RCAF/CAF service records" took one full year to receive. I had decided by that point that my request was way down the priority list or had been lost.
    One day, a courier delivered a 4 kilo box to me. Inside was 4kg of my father's service records, spanning the years 1942 to 1980's. A government employee had gone through microfilms printing off my father's high school records, enlistment papers, performance appraisals, test results, disciplinary records, medical & dental records, pension records, death benefits, transfer papers, survivor pensions etc etc. Then this employee must have gone through the printouts & carefully blotted out any confidential information about other service personnel who appeared on any of his paperwork. All that appeared to be missing were the years 1943 - 1945 when he was attached to an RAF squadron, although his medical records from those war years were included.
    An incredible treasure box of information and for some reason, all free!
    Good luck with your request.
    Adele

v.wells

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    My simple request for "my father's RCAF/CAF service records" took one full year to receive. I had decided by that point that my request was way down the priority list or had been lost.
    One day, a courier delivered a 4 kilo box to me. Inside was 4kg of my father's service records, spanning the years 1942 to 1980's. A government employee had gone through microfilms printing off my father's high school records, enlistment papers, performance appraisals, test results, disciplinary records, medical & dental records, pension records, death benefits, transfer papers, survivor pensions etc etc. Then this employee must have gone through the printouts & carefully blotted out any confidential information about other service personnel who appeared on any of his paperwork. All that appeared to be missing were the years 1943 - 1945 when he was attached to an RAF squadron, although his medical records from those war years were included.
    An incredible treasure box of information and for some reason, all free!
    Good luck with your request.
    Adele

How wonderful for you Adele It appears that your "secret employee" had a good heart

Torontoking

Default Send away for the records

HI
    My dad served as a Canadian Soldier in WWII. For a small fee and some ID, I was able to obtain his service records which held a wealth of information.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...909.007-e.html

Hope this helps.

Mary Anne

Peter

You could also try the War Museum. The Military Research Center is here: https://www.civilization.ca/cwm/explo...esearch-centre

Explain what you need. They are VERY helpful.

Mary Anne

I got my Dad's entire service record, too -- at that time had to sit in the room with the "privacy person", who kept telling me how he respected my Dad after reading the file. When I asked for a lot of photocopying, he was very helpful and told me to apply through "Access to Information" which at that time was a flat $5 charge for all. And although he had warned me that third-party bits would be blacked out, i received the entire file with no blackouts! Although my chappie didn't do the extra research that AdeleE's obviously did! (Lucky you, Adele!!). There are some angels in the Archives...Bless them.

Peter_uk_can

Thank you, one and all for your advice, links, and examples. It is seldom that our research takes us to Canadian soldiers of WWII. With the information provided via this forum we are confident of finding what we need.

In appreciation

Sharon & Peter Chaboyer-Lawford
    Winnipeg. Mb.

Braeseke

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    Thank you, one and all for your advice, links, and examples. It is seldom that our research takes us to Canadian soldiers of WWII. With the information provided via this forum we are confident of finding what we need.

In appreciation

Sharon & Peter Chaboyer-Lawford
    Winnipeg. Mb.
    Would you be interested in a D. Chaboyer (d3/1945)? I have a grave photo.

Peter_uk_can

Hi Braeseke. Would that be David Chaboyer ? We have so much going on with the Chaboyer family that it is difficlut to keep up.

But yes, any and all information about the Chaboyers is of interest. We receive at least one new enquiry every day from direct and marriage connected descendents of Louis Chaboyer B; C1803.

Braeseke

Smile

I guess the 'D' could be for David but I can't confirm that.

He was in the Winnipeg Grenadiers. I noticed you have Winnipeg on your location.

Hold on a few minutes ...

Braeseke

Smile

Here goes ... This photo is from the British Commonwealth War Cemetery in Yokohama.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast