Ned999

Default Number 910789 Albert George Finnis

My great grandfather was a driver with The Royal Field Artillery in the Great War (1915-1920) service Number 910789 Albert George Finnis. I also believe he was in the Buffs and served in India at some point. Can anybody help me in tracing his service history?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ned999
    My great grandfather was a driver with The Royal Field Artillery in the Great War (1915-1920) service Number 910789 Albert George Finnis. I also believe he was in the Buffs and served in India at some point. Can anybody help me in tracing his service history?
    Welcome to the B-G forums

Sadly, a large majority of service documents from WW1 were destroyed by fire as a result of enemy action in WW2. The surviving records and pensions records are being put online on the pay-per-view site Ancestry

Have a browse through some of the threads on this WW1 forum to see what sort of records have been found.

Penny Gallo

Default Hi Ned

The records are on A*y - I think! There are records for an ARTHUR ALBERT FINNIS who enlisted with The Buffs. The earliest date I could see is 19 May 1910, so maybe he was in India before he went off as part of an Expeditionary Force to France in 1915. He has two medals noted. You will be able to tell is this is the right chap as it gives his father's name as Arthur, Mother Ellen, and there are three brothers, the oldest James. Let us know if this is the right one.

Procat

Hi Ned,

I have split your post and responses to it into a thread of its own along with a title. It may get you more responses this way.

Peph

Hi Ned,

My grandfather, Walter Henry Brand (b. 1897) was also in the RFA and the Buffs. I've been absolutely unable to find any reference to him, even though he survived WWI, and I know he was there. If anyone does discover anything then I, too, would be delighted to hear.

Peph

In case you're interested, Ned, following is a link to a photo of the Buffs on parade on 17July 1915 in Faversham (the arrow points to my grandfather).

Hope it works - I've never tried sharing a picture before.

daggers

Very smart dog, with 'eyes right!' Super pic, as well.
    D