Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mjcarpenter

Default GRUBB family - Deptford, Greenwich, Stepney

I am trying to find out the birth/baptism for an Elizabeth Mary Grubb C1807 whose birth place has eluded me so far. She married a Charles Shepperd, who was a bricklayer/maker. Documents suggest that Elizabeth's parents were James and Sarah Ann Grubb. The only marriage I can find for a James Grubb in 1799, St Dunstan, Stepney was to a Sarah Charnock who was born in Holborn.

Any help would be greatfully received, regards

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mjcarpenter
    I am trying to find out the birth/baptism for an Elizabeth Mary Grubb C1807 whose birth place has eluded me so far. She married a Charles Shepperd
    Have you been able to identify her on any census from 1851 onwards? - If so, does this provide a place of birth?

Marie C..

Where did Charles Sheppard come from. Not Suffolk by any chance?M
    No see them on 1841 and it says he was born incounty (London/middx)
    Charles and Eliz. aged 35 with children John,15 James11, Henry6 Emma9, Rachel4 living in St. Anne's Row Limehouse/Tower Hamlets. Charles is a bricklayer.
    Have you any of the childrens' birth certs.?
    Can you see them on 1851 census. Where does it say Charles was born?
    Unfortunately the Hugh Wallis site is down or we might have found Elizabeth's parents on there with a bit of searching.
    Cannot find birth for Elizabeth Grubb.
    I too have Sheppards and Grubbs including a Charles Sheppard went from Suffolk to london where he married and had a family. My Grubbs came from Bucks .
    Marie
    Last edited by Marie C..; 14-10-2008 at 9:24 PM. Reason: added stuff

mjcarpenter

What is making this search all the more confusing is that a different birthplace appears in each census. The 1851 census gives Charles Sheppards birthplace as Camberwell, and Elizabeth's as Newington, Surrey. Sometime after 1851 the family emigrated to Australia and by the 1861 census Charles was back in England, a widower, staying/living with a Thomas Grubb. Charles's birthplace in 1861 was stated as Hackney, Middlesex. Elizabeth Mary Grubb Sheppard's death certificate gave her parents as James and Sarah Ann Grubb. James was born C1779, in Kent and married Sarah Charnock in Stepney in 1799.

dgrubb

Hello All,
    I too am a descendant of this family. Specifically Thomas Grubb b 1816 Deptford to James and Sarah Ann (nee unknown) Grubb.
    Thomas moved to Dartford > Deptford > Old Coulsdon > Plumstead Kent as a Brickmaker.
    All information desired.
    Dennis Grubb

janbooth

These look as if they could be other baptisms to James & Sarah (Ann) GRUBB via Ancestry's London Parish Records:

Born 26 Jan, bap 20 Feb 1814 at St Paul Deptford William Thomas GRUBB son of James & Sarah, New Cross, Tile Maker
    Born 6 May?, bap 2 June 1816 at St Paul Deptford Thomas GRUBB son James & Sarah Ann, New Cross, Labourer
    Born 28 Jan, bap 28 Feb 1819 at St Mary Newington George Frederick GRUBB son James & Sarah Ann, Grove Place Walworth, Labourer
    Bor 6 Dec 1823, bap 4 Jan 1824 at St Mary Newington Emma Amelia GRUBB daughter of James & Sarah Ann, Grove Place Walworth, Labourer

However, be wary with the marriage record you have found, as there appears to be another James & Sarah GRUBB having children at St Andrew Holborn at this time, he being either a Silver Cap & Ferrule Maker or Silver Mounter.

Janet

janbooth

There is an extracted baptism on the IGI of an Elizabeth Mary GRUBB on 25 August 1811, born 13 December 1808, at St James Paddington, father James mother Sarah - could this be your Elizabeth Mary?? Possible sibling Eliza GRUBB, born 13 June, baptised 25 August 1811 at St James with the same parents. Both these IGI records are confirmed on the actual parish register images via Ancestry but with no further details.

Janet

janbooth

Default James & Sarah GRUBB

I think I may just have found James & Sarah in the 1841 census of St Paul Deptford:

HO107/488/17, folio 43, page 30
    Pomeroy Street, Hamlet of Hatcham

James GRUBB 63 Lab Born in county yes
    Sarah do 50 no
    George MEADER 23 Plasterer J no
    Emma do 18 yes

and in Ancestry's London Parish Records:

7 October 1840 at St Giles, Camberwell George MEADER, full age, bachelor, Plasterer, Kent Road, father James MEADER, Plasterer married Emma Amelia GRUBB, minor, spinster, Kent Road, father James GRUBB, Builder. Witnesses: James GRUBB, John MEADER, Elizabeth PLUMMER.

1851 census shows James & Sarah still living in St Paul Deptford at 1 Barton's Terrace, he being shown as aged 71, Bricklayer's Labourer, born Southgate Middlesex and Sarah as aged 69, born Deptford Kent.

HTH further

Janet

dgrubb

Thanks to all who have provided information. Janet, the link of Emma Grubb who married George Meader is interesting. I thnak you for the not so small detail. BTW what is HTH?
    regards
    dennis

janbooth

Hope this helps - sorry I was just being lazy!!

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast