Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    robbiej

Cool WILLIAM LIDDELL (Or LIDDLE) TO JEAN JERVIS

I have a JEAN OR JANE LIDDELL (or LIDDLE) B/1815 ? Possibly married 16th Sept. 1838.
    It is a possible that Jean or Jane Liddell married 16th Sept 1838 but I am not certain of this,
    HER Parents I have nothing on ....???
    They are as I have it..
    William Liddell B/ ? D/? married ? to Jean Jervis B/ ? D/?

Help here would be appreciated.
    Thanks .
    J

Quote Originally Posted by robbiej View Post
    I have a JEAN OR JANE LIDDELL (or LIDDLE) B/1815 ? Possibly married 16th Sept. 1838.
    It is a possible that Jean or Jane Liddell married 16th Sept 1838 but I am not certain of this,
    HER Parents I have nothing on ....???
    They are as I have it..
    William Liddell B/ ? D/? married ? to Jean Jervis B/ ? D/?

Help here would be appreciated.
    Thanks .
    J

Any idea where? Even a country would help since the location of archives, certification, etc differs for the different countries in the UK.
    Lesleu

robbiej

Default WILLIAM LIDDEL & JEAN JERVIS

OOPS.. Sorry LESLEY.
    Scotland is the Country...All my rellies are from Scotland, but ofcourse others would not know that.
    Well I presume it is ! The marriage I have is for Nov 4th 1834 Central Dist. GLASGOW. I could not find it on Scotland'sPeople.... and yes I realise that before 1855 they didn't often or have to register... I always look at S/P first, in the hope !
    Is there any where else that one can search other than there ?
    Again...My humble apologies...

colashbury

Default Hi Rob

Found a Jean Liddell on the IGI Records,born 21 Nov 1815 in Cadder,Lanark.Also parents Thomas Liddell born around 1784 and Janet Jarvis about 1788 in the same place.Hope this helps.......Colin

colashbury

Default Hi again Rob

Found a Jean Liddel married in Oct 1836 to a William Donaldson in Shotts,Lanark......Colin

colashbury

Default Hi

Also found one in her Birth town of Cadder in 1838 married to a John Campbell on the 16th September.....Colin

robbiej

Smile JEAN LIDDEL

Thanks Colashbury,
    I now have Jean Liddel's Death Cert. and in it it says, she died 14th Feb 1884. Daughter of GEORGE Liddell, Farmer, and Janet M/s.Jarvis .There is a note on it that she was married to.
    1.. John Campbell, Publisher. 16 Sept.1838 (presume he died ? and she remarried)
    2... George MUIR, Acountant, whom she divorced March 18. 1874 (That could be interesting reading if I could get a script of it !)
    No mention of the William Doaldson, so I guess that puts him out of the picture.
    Also her Father being George and not Thomas, (although I originally had it as William), so it looks as if I was incorrect on both counts there.
    I will have another look on S/P re her Birth, and the marriages, and see if I can get them.
    Thanks, you have given me dates which I can zero in at, and see what I can find.
    Thanks a million. Every bit helps doesn't it !
    J

2... George MUIR, Acountant, whom she divorced March 18. 1874 (That could be interesting reading if I could get a script of it !)

According to the extracted part of the IGI, that marriage was Sept 1858 Central District of Glasgow, which means there should be a marriage cert. This would confirm her parents. It would also tell you what denomination they were (from what sort of Minister married them) - if they weren't CoS, they wouldn't necessarily turn up in SP.
    I see that Jean and George had one dau - Janet Jervis M. - in 1860, which would also tend to confirm her mother's name.
    There's also one child - Thomas Campbell - listed for the first marriage, bap in Jan 1844 in Barony, Lanark. If course, this may not be all the kids, just the bap entry that also mentions the mother's name. It gives quite a wide time frame fo John's death, so it might be worth looking for them in the 1851.

Playing the guestimation game, she must have been reasonably young at her first marriage to have had Thomas in 1860... If she was 20ish in 1838, she'd have only been 42ish in 1860, easily possible. So if her parents had produced her in their 20s in 1818ish, they'd only be in their 40s or 50s for the 1841 and 50s or 60s for the 1851, and might even have survived to get death certs. remember that the SP search engine doesn't handle spelling variations, - Liddel*, Lid*le should throw up most of them.

Lesley

1.. John Campbell, Publisher. 16 Sept.1838 (presume he died ? and she remarried)
    I've just been checking the Book Trade lists on the National Library site. There's no mention of a John Campbell, publisher, at the moment, but they do describe it as a work in progress. It might be worth asking them if they've heard anything of him.
    It might also be worth checking any trade directories for the period - I know that Rod Neep had released a couple on CD, so they're probably still in the Parish Chest catalogue somewhere.

Lesley

colashbury

Default Hi

Found a Liddel family from Glasgow that may be of help.
    David (Father)born about 1760 and married 1784 to-
    Margaret Macdonald born 20th Jan 1761
    Children
    Andrew 21st Oct 1802
    Alexander 25th July 1800
    Jane or Jean 3rd May 1794 to 2nd Jan 1827
    Mary 18th May 1792
    Margaret 25th April 1790
    George 10 SEP 1788
    Agnes 21 Nov 1786
    All born in Lanark ,Glasgow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast