A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Question Were is Carvath??

Can somebody help me in locating Carvath, It was around in the 1867 period as my G.G.Gt Grandfather Simon Tambling was the subject of a coroners inquest, also I have found a company called the Carvath United Mining Company. I have tried googling, maps and the genuki site but nothing appears for the area. Has it been absorbed into another locality. I have also tried to find some information on the mining company but with no success.

Regards
    Geoff Wycherley

MarkJ

Not heard of it myself Geoff, although Carveth is one of those names which crops up in Cornwall a lot. Any clues from a census - e.g 1861? If you can find where Simon was living, I suspect the mine will be within a short distance.
    Could Carvath be the name of the owner even?

Ah - found it. 'Tis St Austell!

https://people.exeter.ac.uk/pfclaugh/mhinf/mj1860.htm

If you use the "Find" facility in your browser for Carvath, it is listed there

Mark

Jan1954

There is also a Carvath House in Eastbourne Rd, St Austell. You can find it on google maps.

Thumbs up Carvath

Many thanks to you both for the help,very much appreciated.
    One more question
    The mining Journal extracts that show the Carvath Mining Company, are any of these papers available to view on line?

Once again thanks for your help

Geoff Wycherley

oxon57

I have also tried to find some information on the mining company but with no success.
    Well, I doubt if the mine itself is actually relevant to the 1867 death, as they seem to have folded in 1865, but it was evidently also known as West Polmear, and this is what I have from "Cornish Mines - Metalliferous and Associated Minerals 1845-1913" (Roger Burt, Peter Waite & Ray Burnley, The University of Exeter in association with The Northern Mine Research Society, 1987) - I expect the columns will go haywire in this, hope you can follow it:
    CARVATH UNITED - St Austell - SX 029518 [That's the OS grid ref.]
    Production: Copper No detailed return.
    Tin Black (tons) Stuff (tons) Tin (tons) Value (£)
    1858 71.30 0.00 0.00 4256.70
    1859 15.40 0.00 0.00 953.70
    1860 24.50 0.00 0.00 1758.70
    Ownership: Comment 1859-1863 OR WEST POLMEAR; 1864-1865 OR WEST POLMEAR.
    SUSPENDED.
    Management: Manager 1859 RICH. HANCOCK; 1860-1863 WM. BODY
    Chief Agent 1863 WM. POLKINGHORNE
    Secretary 1859 WM. CHARLES (P); 1860-1862 W. HIGMAN (P);
    1863-1865 C. E. TREFFRY
    [The "(P)" indicates Purser]

oxon57

Afterthought. I've given that (as closely as I could) as laid out in the book, but...
    Reading it, I think they may have ceased production in 1863 rather than 1865.
    The comment "SUSPENDED" is on the next line - but without it, the 1859-1863 comment and the 1864-1865 comment are exactly the same, so why not just 1859-1865? "SUSPENDED" is, I would think, a continuation of the 1863-1865 comment on the previous line, wouldn't you?
    Last edited by oxon57; 11-10-2008 at 3:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Thumbs up Carvath

What can I say Oxon57, you have gone above and beyond. When I first came across my relative being the subject of a coroners inquest I naturally assumed mining accident. Will now await the copy of his death certificate. The information you have given me puts more light on this line of research I am carrying out and I say to you Thank You.

The help I have received whenever I have enquired about a particular item has always been outstanding.

Regards
    Geoff Wycherley

Gambrill

By chance I have just come across your 2007 posting "Where is Carvath ?". My wife's family name is Carveth, and I have their ancestry going back to the 1700s.

If you do a Google Map search for "Creed, Cornwall" you will see a woodland area just south of Creed that is referenced as "Carveth Wood", and I believe the building just south of that is called Carveth (Farm?).

There is a reference to the same place (called Carveth) on a 19th Century Ordanance Survey Map, which can be viewed online at "Vision of Britain" website. Locate Creed on this map, and to the south you will see the same woodland and the name "Carveth", which appear to belong to a group of buildings.

John

Hello John
    unbelievable that after all this time that you come across my posting.
    Thank you for your input I will certainly have a look at this location.

Happy New Year
    Geoff W

Royal Cornwall Gazette, 25 July 1867
    DEATHS
    At Carvath, St Austell, July 24, of disease of the heart, Mr Simon Tamlin, aged 39
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"