Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    tracybsmith

Default Swales, Cunningham, Edeson

I have a Grace Cunningham (c1793) marrying a John Wilson (c1795) their daughter Elizabeth Wilson (c1817) married Jeremiah Swales (c1815) their children were Esther (c1840), Jeremiah (c1843), Mary Ann(c1846), Hannah (c1847), John (c1850), James (c1852), Joseph (c1854), Elizabeth (c1857), Robert (c1858) and Selina (c1860).
    Mary Ann married Charles Edeson (c1835) their children were Jeremiah (c1862), Frank (c1871) and Mary Ann (c1867).
    Jeremiah married Annie Stranach and had Jeremiah, Mary, Lily, Charles, Frank, Joseph , William, Annie and Violet born 1906 died 1962.
    Violet my grandmother married my grandfather Joseph Cunningham born 1904 died 1951.
    Joseph Cunningham's parent were Joseph Cunningham born 1884 died 1916 and Nancy/Annie Maguire born 1886. Nancy's siter Janey married Joseph's brother William Cunningham.
    Their father was Richard Cunningham born 1858, their mother was Elizabeth Morrison born 1861.
    Richard's father was William Cunningham born 1824 thei mother was Martha. Martha remarried an Anthony Garvey. Can anyone help beyond this date or provide any other links

chaney999

Default Wilson/boss/boswell

I am still eagerly hunting the Wilsons from Hull. I have lots of information regarding my g grandmother Deliah Wilhemina Boss and her family. D/O Riley Boss and Susan 'yoki shur' smith. Deliah married George Wilson and her Sister married William Wilson. I have William Wilsons and Brittannia Boss marriage certificate and Williams father was James Wilson, Hawker.

The Boss family also married into the Herons and the Grays and all seem to settle in Hull area. Heenan Gray and Sardinia Gray were children of Pothamus Gray and Susan Boss (another sister of Deliah and Brittannia) and they were living in a caravan in Hull. However it seems that at some point Heenan Gray was in fact living with Deliah and George.

Whilst I seem to know everything about the Boss/Boswell/Grays, I am struggling to find any of the Wilsons in Hull and specifically James Wilson.

TonyD

I'm connected to the Cunningham, Wilson & Swales families.

My maternal grandmother was Mary Jane Wilson (1888-1967); her side of the family settled in Hull.

Mary Jane was the daughter of John Wilson (c1853 Hunslet Carr -bef 1896) & Margaret Cunningham (1847, Thorne).

John Wilson (above) was the son of Benjamin Wilson (1811, Ripon - bef 1871) & Margaret (Unknown).

Benjamin Wilson (above) was the son of Benjamin Wilson & Elizabeth (both dates unknown).

Margaret Cunningham (above, wife of John Wilson) was the daughter of Richard Cunningham (c 1811, Selby - bef 1881) & Mary Swales (c 1820, Kirkby Moorside).

Richard Cunningham's & Mary Swales' ancestors are as listed previously in this thread.

I am trying to find a baptism for the William Cunningham born c 1824 that would link him to this family ......

Quote Originally Posted by Ann65 View Post

Richard CUNNINGHAM c.1790 Whitgift Yks, s/o John, married Mary MILLER in 1809 at Selby Yks, she being the d/o Joseph & Magdalen Miller c.1793 Cawood Yks.

Richard and Mary CUNNINGHAM s children were:

Magdalena c.1810 Selby married Thomas Swales (above)
    Richard c.1812 Selby married Mary Swales (above)
    Hannah c.1819 Mkt Weighton, married Richard ARNOLD s/o Joseph Arnold & Ann Busfield.
    Grace c.1821 Mkt Weighton (no other info)
    Jane c.1830 Cliffe (ditto)
    Ann c.1830 Sth Cave (ditto).

I have him in 1851 in Hull living with/visiting George & Grace Miller. He is described as George's brother but I think it more likely that Grace is his sister. Grace Cunningham (see above quote and cf DOB and place of birth) married a George Miller in 1847.
    (census ref HO107/2363/239/14)

By 1861 William is married with a family; they are in a tent at Brampton Bierlow at the time of the census (ref RG9/3510/111/23). I believe he married Martha Hartley Jackson at St James' in Hull in 1851.

He is dead by 1871 and his wife has remarried.

I have been unable to find his birthplace in Yorkshire or to find him in the 1841 census. From the 1851 & 1861 census his birthplace looks like Attrope/Astrope/Albrope/Lathorpe.

Any help much appreciated.

TonyD

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneM View Post

Matilda Boswell born c.1871 Barwick in Elmet, d/o Sistance Charlotte and Lemontina Boswell married James Cunningham in the Howden area of east Yorkshire in 1893. James Cunningham was born c.1870 (from his age at death) and died 1894 again in the Howden area.

Would have any more info on the James Cunningham you mention, please?

I have a James Cunningham born c 1870 in Pontefract but living in Hull 1871-1891; he was either the son or the grandson of Richard & Mary (nee Swales) Cunningham. He is recorded as their son in 1871 & 1881 but Mary's as grandson in 1891.

Thanks.

JoanneM

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Would have any more info on the James Cunningham you mention, please?

I have a James Cunningham born c 1870 in Pontefract but living in Hull 1871-1891; he was either the son or the grandson of Richard & Mary (nee Swales) Cunningham. He is recorded as their son in 1871 & 1881 but Mary's as grandson in 1891.

Thanks.
    Hi Tony,

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't have any other information than I had posted, but if you do find anything else out about James I'd be interested to know.

Jo.

TonyD

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneM View Post
    Hi Tony,

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't have any other information than I had posted, but if you do find anything else out about James I'd be interested to know.

Jo.
    Thanks Jo.

I've added his marriage to my "to do" list for next time I'm in Beverley. I'll let you know if I find him.

chaney999

I have moved on slightly with the WILSON line in Hull. My G Great uncle William Wilson who married Britannia 'annie' Boss was residing at 44 Garden Street, Hull after the death of Britannia in 1849. The interesting thing is that Williams profession on this census is 'protestent minister' and he has numerous persons living at this accomodation. I can only assume that this is some sort of missionary = housing the homeless.

Also on this 1851 census is Williams father JAMES WILSON born c1796 in LONDONDERRY, IRELAND.

I am now becoming more confused. The only WILSONS that seem to be in the HULL area are those connected to the CUNNINGHAMS - To date i have not been able to confirm or not whether my WILSON family are connected to this family. I am unable to confirm this as clearly WILLIAM's father was JAMES from IRELAND and all the research above dictates that the WILSONs were in the Yorkhsire area and no mention of a JAMES. Im sure somewhere along the line they will be.

I have documentary evidence that WILLIAM and his brother GEORGE along with his father were travellers and they did marry into the Boss family.

If anyone has any information regarding JAMES then i would be grateful for any assistance.

Little Egypt

Hi i have been reading this thread with intrest the second tent is my ggrt grandfather Arthur Boswell with his mother Eliza/Elizabeth Boswell d/o Anselo and and Eliza sister of the Charles boss below, the father is missing the father was Joseph/Josiah Boswell s/o Edward and Phillis.. good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl101 View Post
    I've been looking at the some of the census returns for the Boss family and have come across more Romanies. I’ve no idea if they’re of interest but thought I’d add them to the ever growing list, so here goes:-

Charles Boss b 1844, Rockliffe, Yorks, spouse Lyari b. 1828 Worcs.
    Children:- Emporer b. 1864 and Walter b. 1861. living in a gipsy caravan, Altrincham Cheshire (the 1871 census shows Charles and Syria living in Altrincham with the children shown above, but also a Joseph b. 1791).

With them is Uriah Boss b. 1833 and his spouse Sinai b. 1831.

There’s also an Eli Boss b.1859, spouse Agnes b. 1859, children Annie b. 1874, Famie b. 1877 & Rhoda b. 1878.

There's another entry in 1881 for an Agate Boss b. 1825 Leeds, a horse dealer and his spouse Mary Boss b. 1837.

They are recorded as living at ' St Marys Rd In Field Gipsies Tents' Garston, Lancs, along with 3 other families :-

Thos. Mullanger and spouse Clementina Mullanger.
    Sampson Ribmeon /Ritmein, spouse - Eva and their children.
    Elias Robinson and spouse Julia Robinson.

There's also a William Boss b. 1856 Lancs, spouse Louisa Boss and their children Albert Boss b. 1879 and a baby, Bertha Boss. With them are:-

R. Boss b. 1846 and his spouse Jane Boss b. 1841 and their children Ada Boss b. 1875 and Zub Boss b. 1874.

Enoch Boss b. 1857 and his spouse Sarah Boss b. 1859. No children.

Louis Herring b. 1861 and his spouse Lily Herring, b1861 and a sister Eda Herring b. 1866.

In the final tent are:-

Annie Boss b. 1866
    Arthur Boss b. 1867
    Elizabeth Boss b. 1838
    Jane Boss b.1865
    Nelson Boss b.1869
    Oliver Boss b. 1861
    Phoebe Boss b. 1862
    Walter Boss b1859

I also spotted these on the 1851 censusy, again recorded as gypsies this time in Warmingham Cheshire:-

Beddy Boss b. 1817
    Betsey Boss b. 1815
    Dinah Boss b. 1848
    Eliza Boss b. 1842
    Elizabeth Boss b. 1839
    Gustavas Boss b. 1824
    Houcy Boss (Nancy Boss) b.1785
    Michael Boss b.1842
    Nathaniel Boss b. 1776
    Sarah Boss b.1849
    William Boss b. 1816

Just thought I'd throw these into the 'melting pot', maybe, somewhere along the line there's a connection.

BG

Little Egypt

i ment the ocupents final tent

amandaas

Dear Ann65

I read somewhere on this site that your family start with Jeremiah and Jane Sowden (did you mention their surname? not sure) anyway - my family down the female line also start with them and I can find no record of their marriage probably before 1788 as they baptized their daughter Ann in Donington on Bain (Lincs) in 1788. Do you have any information about them? I am interested to know Jane's surname and parents. I know that their daughter, Esther, married James Swales and I am thinking she is the younger sister of Ann. Thanking you in advance. Amanda.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456