Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    David Annis

Default Vista, ruddy Vista

I have a nice new computer, all the bells and whistles
    and VISTA.
    I am now finding out the draw backs to VISTA.
    A number of programmes wont work.
    Has anyone found how to get these working on VISTA.

FAMILYSEARCH. 1881 BRITISH CENSUS AND NATIONAL INDEX.

" " " BRITISH ISLES VITAL RECORDS.

NATIONAL BURIAL INDEX. 1st edition.

They all worked ok on XP

ps. If you have Bill Gates telephone number can you pass it on.

Cheers
    Dave

bwarnerok

Generally just about anything will work if you right click on properties .. run as administrator, and then under compatibility, tell it to emulate XP.

There were some viewers I could not get to work and had to uninstall them and then reinstall. It is better than it was a year ago as many tweaks have been made. Be sure and get all the service packs available as that will help you.

Betsy

somanyrellies

XP was/is a perfectly good Operating System.

I believe that one of the reasons that Microsoft wanted to superceed it was to insert a spy. Every time someone downloads music Vista makes a note. This is to enable Microsoft to go to the 'Music Industry' and make a future claim for royalties.

Allegedly

ET in the USA

Lost his phone Number. Will his address do ? [BTW - this is all public record from the King County Tax Assessors website]

Address
    1835 73RD AV NE
    Zipcode
    Taxpayer
    GATES WILLIAM H III

Property name GATES RESIDENCE
    Property type R - RESIDENTIAL
    Present use Single Family(Res Use/Zone)
    Lot area 224,334 sq. ft. (5.15 acres)

APPRAISED VALUE

$25,132,000 (land)
    + $124,900,000 (improvements)
    $150,032,000 (total)

Building 1 of 2
    Year built 1994
    Year renovated 0
    Stories 3

Total living sq. ft. 48,160
    1st floor sq. ft. 22,860
    Half floor sq. ft. 8,800
    2nd floor sq. ft. 9,870
    Upper floor sq. ft. 6,630

Bedrooms 7
    Baths (SINK, TOILET, TUB/SHOWER OR BOTH) 9
    1/2 baths (SINK & TOILET) 6
    3/4 baths (SINK, TOILET & SHOWER) 9
    Single story fireplace 0
    Multi-story fireplace 4

Attached garage sq. ft. 1,240
    Open porch sq. ft. 320

Building 2 of 2
    Year built 1992
    Year renovated 0
    Stories 1
    Building grade 13 - Mansion
    Condition Average

Total living sq. ft. 1,890
    1st floor sq. ft. 1,890
    Bedrooms 1
    Baths 1
    1/2 baths 0
    3/4 baths 0
    Single story fireplace 1

Retlaw

I have heard of people returning to point of sale, having vista removed, and getting a refund, they then install Linux, which is free, and its supposed to work like winxp, but not as fragile.

Semloh Retlaw

Guy Etchells

Why bother with Vista it is going to be replaced around the end of next year with a new OS codenamed Vienna or Windows 7.
    Cheers
    Guy

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
    I have heard of people returning to point of sale, having vista removed, and getting a refund, they then install Linux, which is free, and its supposed to work like winxp, but not as fragile.

Semloh Retlaw
    Linux, which I run, does not work like XP.
    For surfing the web, emails etc, then Linux or any other Operating System (even Vista!) should work fine. The problem starts when people want to run Windows specific programs - then you start to find that you may or may not be able to find a Linux or Mac or whatever version, or you may not. Then a bit more knowledge is needed about how to run the Windows program under an "emulator" such as Wine or whatever the Mac one is called (Parallels?).
    Even with Wine, Linuxd will not run all Windows programs - it runs most, but not all. Of course, there are Linux programs which work in similar ways to many Windows programs - the Gimp as a replacement for Photoshop for example. Some are already familiar to Windows users - Firefox and OpenOffice for example.

Vista is either loved or loathed by all those I have spoken with. On powerful machines, with plenty of memory (at least 2Gb and preferably a lot more), it runs fairly well from what I have seen. On lower spec machines (less than 2GB ram), it runs like a slug crawling through a tin of molasses.
    Betsy suggests - as I would - using the "compatability mode" option.
    Those who recall XP being introduced will remember that the same criticisms were made about XP compared to Win98 and 2000. Slow, unable to run program X and Y.... again, there was a compatability mode to run the older programs - a nuisance, but at least nearly everything could be made to run (and if you really had to run some ancient program or other, there were (and still are) a wide range of free emulators for that purpose.
    THe first release of XP WAS terrible. Unstable, insecure and very buggy. But the release of Service Pack 1 and later SP2 improved it a lot. Vista will probably improve a little with updates - but I suspect Microsoft are simply keeping it going until they can release their next OS.

I would agree with Guy - hang on if you can until the next Windows version is released and see what that is like. Microsoft always do this - release a half complete job to tide people over and fill their coffers whilst working on the next release. Remember Windows ME? That was - in my opinion as a computer technician and "geek" - the worst abomination to ever appear on a hard drive. It was a bodge to tide time until XP was released and contained what seemed to be all the bad things about both Win98 and early XP releases all bundled into one huge lash up.

I would love everyone to swap over to the Linux camp - free operating system, free software, secure, fast and you have full control over everything to do with the system. But, I am realistic and I know that most people will continue to buy whatever Microsoft turn out - regardless of price or any other consideration. Although not hard to learn, Linux IS different to Windows. My system looks similar to Windows I suppose (I use a desktop called KDE), with a "start" button and a menu which appears when I click that with various programs available from there. For basic use - web browsing, mail etc - then it is faster, familiar (if you use Firefox for example on your Windows system) and a lot more secure. But, as I mentioned earlier, it will not be suitable for all. It is easy to try it out - most of the large Linux distributions (e.g Mandriva, Ubuntu etc) release the system as a "live" cd. That means that you can download the image, burn it to a cd and then pop that into your drive and reboot. As long as you have the ability to boot from cd (it is in the BIOS settings if you need to change it), you will be presented with a live version of the Linux system. All your Windows stuff is safe - but you can play around and see how Linux works for a while if you want. Then, when you are done, simply shutdown the Linux system and remove the cd when it pops out. Then you can boot back into Windows

Mark

bwarnerok

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Why bother with Vista it is going to be replaced around the end of next year with a new OS codenamed Vienna or Windows 7.
    Cheers
    Guy

I can appreciate those who puff out their chests and say, "I'm happy with what I have and I'm not changing". I think our ancestors felt that way about the first computers, as well as telephones, television, automobiles, railroads and even electricity.

C'mon, when was it when you finally quit stomping your feet saying, "I'm keeping Windows 95 forever."

I finally had to move up to Mac OSX when the web browsers became obsolete and did not recognize the fancier versions of Java, Flash, etc.

It's called change and the minute you start to get comfy.. it will change again.

Betsy

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwarnerok View Post
    I I think our ancestors felt that way about the first computers, ............

It's called change and the minute you start to get comfy.. it will change again.

Betsy
    Don't know about our ancestors!! Many of us on this forum are the generation responsible for inventing computers

Second, I agree with Guy - why change for the sake of change? It is a total waste of money and resources for no positive outcome. Unfortunately the younger generations appear to assume that all change is good because one 'keeps ahead' of one's neighbour.

MartinM

I recently changed my laptop, and it came with Vista.

Surprisingly I am delighted with it. Everything works very well, it seems much more secure, it runs more quickly and it is more stable than xp ever was.

I can understand why some people worry about change, but in this case I wish I'd done it sooner.

Regards
    Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast