mykin

Question Finding a dwelling in township of Weston.

Is there any way to find a house that is in Weston twp? Is it in Liverpool? I am looking for
    19 West Bank Lodge. I found that my gr. grandmother worked there and they had five servants. I am thinking it is a big house and am wondering who owned it in 1871.

pipsqueak

Can you give a name? I can't find it.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doe/canada View Post
    Is there any way to find a house that is in Weston twp? Is it in Liverpool? I am looking for
    19 West Bank Lodge. I found that my gr. grandmother worked there and they had five servants. I am thinking it is a big house and am wondering who owned it in 1871.
    The 1871 census entry will list all the people who slept in the house on census not. The head of the house might have owned it, or he might have rented it from the owner. The duties of the servants will tell you what type of home it was, and the occupation of the head person.

But, we will need a name, as pipsqueak says.
    ChristineR

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

If you mean Nancy Law, age 16, servant.

1871 census RG10; Piece: 3926; Folio: 84; Page: 6

This is obviously an affluent area – all large houses etc. Owners (Cullin) not home, but it should be possible to get a lead on them from 1861 & 1881 census.

Registrar’s District: Bolton, Lancashire
    Sub District: Halliwell
    Parish: Dean(e) & Heaton

Genuki: “HEATON, a township in Deane parish, Lancashire; on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 2 miles WNW of Bolton.”

The description of the enumeration district starts as follows:

“All the houses on both sides of Chorley new road from the Grove House to the Park ------ , the Grove, Indor Villa, The Ferns, Rogerstead farm, Limpsfield House, Oakfield House, Atkinson’s farm, Heaton Grange, West Bank Lodge, Wordsley House” ……………..etc, etc

Incidentally, the 19 is not a street number, but a schedule number.

Michael

A quick look at the census shows that the Cullen family who presumably owned the house were James and Jane Cullen (nee Drake) who had married before 1869.

James and Jane were in the Claremont Hotel in Blackpool in 1871 where James was recorded as a "Lead Pipe Manufacturer"

Jane was his second wife as he was a widower in 1861. He died before 1881 as Jane was a widow (annuitant) in 1881.

James was stated in 1861 as “proprietor of houses” , his brother David at the same address in 1861 was a “lead pipe manufacturer”, so between them they had a few bob.

Michael

mykin

Smile a dwelling in Weston

Thanks everyone for your research and help. All the little bits make the story complete. I wonder if those bigs homes are still there. It seems the way today is to detroy all the old places. Nancy Law was the name, Thanks Michael

Quote Originally Posted by doe/canada View Post
    Thanks everyone for your research and help. All the little bits make the story complete. I wonder if those bigs homes are still there. It seems the way today is to detroy all the old places. Nancy Law was the name, Thanks Michael
    If you use Google Maps, search for Chorley New Road Bolton, and click on Satellite view and zoom in, you'll see that this road is still full of big houses between the golf course and Bolton town centre.

Michael