lynne4

Unhappy Laurence Robertson

I am trying to trace my 3 x Great Grandparents Laurence Robertson & Elizabeth Plowman. I only have their names from their son Stephen's birth record in Shadwell, Middlesex in 1932. I don't know whether Elizabeth is from Scotland but from the 1841 English census Laurence was living in Shadwell, Lonson age 55 a Mariner from Scotland with Stephen and a possible 2nd wife Charlotte and Son William. I don't know what part of Scotland or have any other details. I believe on the 1841 census that ages were probably rounded up or down so he was born c.1786. I haven't yet traced a Scottish ancestor so i don't know where to even start looking. Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Many thanks, Lynne

KarenNJ

Quote Originally Posted by lynne4 View Post
    I am trying to trace my 3 x Great Grandparents Laurence Robertson & Elizabeth Plowman. I only have their names from their son Stephen's birth record in Shadwell, Middlesex in 1932. I don't know whether Elizabeth is from Scotland but from the 1841 English census Laurence was living in Shadwell, Lonson age 55 a Mariner from Scotland with Stephen and a possible 2nd wife Charlotte and Son William. I don't know what part of Scotland or have any other details. I believe on the 1841 census that ages were probably rounded up or down so he was born c.1786. I haven't yet traced a Scottish ancestor so i don't know where to even start looking. Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Many thanks, Lynne
    Hi Lynne,

Laurence Robertson and Elizabeth are my husbands direct line.

If you search for Graham Juniper B1961 you can find and add me and ill open the tree up for you

Many thanks

Karen Nichols-Juniper

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Unfortunately lynne4 is no longer a member of the forums and may not see your message.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by KarenNJ View Post
    Hi Lynne,

Laurence Robertson and Elizabeth are my husbands direct line.

If you search for Graham Juniper B1961 you can find and add me and ill open the tree up for you

Many thanks

Karen Nichols-Juniper
    Hi Karen
    I have just started doing my ancestry 1 month ago and I have only got as far as Lawrence Robertson. My father is William J Robertson Dob 30/8/1925 Died Oct 1996. As I am a direct descendant to Lawrence Robertson it would be of such great help if you had any further information. My Grandad was George James Robertson Married Ellen Land, Great Grandad Stephen Henry Robertson Robertson Married Elizabeth Ann Plumb, Great Great Grandad Stephen Robertson Married Caroline Ann Greenwood & Great Great Great Grandad married Elizabeth Plowman.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Stephen Robertson Dob 1954

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Steve.
    Unfortunately KarenNJ is no longer a member of the Brit-Gen forums as indicated by the word 'guest' under her name and we do not keep any information in our system which would help you contact her.
    If you would like our members help in growing your family tree you need to tell us specifically what it is you are looking for.
    I can see a couple of trees on ancestry with your family names but if we are to help we will need dates of birth/death etc and places born. lived and died. Our members do love solving mysteries.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Steve, our surname (with spelling variations) is one of the 10 most common in Scotland, and we have spilled over into England… it would therefore make things much easier, if you supplied some geographical information! Even just the country makes a difference to which archive you need to check!

PS Welcome in!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christina Many thanks for letting me know if you are looking at the 2 trees that i have found then that is the only information that i have. I am looking for my 5 times Great Grandad father of Lawrence Robertson who was born 1786 Shetland Isles married Elizabeth Plowman and possibly a woman called Charlotte last name we cant seem to find.

Stephen Robertson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley Many thanks for replying I have sent a message to Christina stating a few facts My 4 times Great Grandfather was Lawrence Robertson (sometimes Scottish spelling is different) married to Elizabeth Plowman there could have been a Charlotte involved (second marriage maybe). Lawrence was born in 1786 Scotland. I myself was born in London 1954.

Look forward to hearing from you
    Stephen Robertson

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Robertson View Post
    Hi Christina Many thanks for letting me know if you are looking at the 2 trees that i have found then that is the only information that i have. I am looking for my 5 times Great Grandad father of Lawrence Robertson who was born 1786 Shetland Isles married Elizabeth Plowman and possibly a woman called Charlotte last name we cant seem to find.

Stephen Robertson
    As there is a William Robertson MMN Moss born Stepney 1840, and as there is a 65 year old Mary Moss with the family in 1841 I think it is likely that Charlotte was Charlotte Moss. However I can't see a marriage between her and Lawrence.

It also seems feasible that Lawrence/Laurence was from Shetland as Laurence Robertson is a common name there and there would be a good likelihood of seafaring as an occupation. However there does not seem to be a suitable baptism. The Laurence Bp 1788 in Nesting appears to have remained on Shetland. Of course at this early date many records may not have survived or may never have existed. There is also the possibility that your Laurence was not truthful about his age.