sarahpilates

Default Solomon Unger 1821 Prussia

I am trying to find out where my GGGrandparents came from in Prussia, I was quite surprised to find them on the 1851 census the place they came from was Gircof Prussia. Can anyone help. Sarahpilates

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

You might try a search of TNA's catalogue to see if your chap is included in naturalisation records.

In the word or phrase field enter - unger
    Leave the year range blank
    In the department or series code, enter - HO

(If you get thousands of hits, restrict the year range in the search.

This TNA research guide deals with immigration

sarahpilates

Default TNA'S

Geoffers, thankyou for the information, I really thought that I was going to find my Solomon but his name or the rest of the family do not seem to be on any documents, have you anymore ideas? Best Wishes Sarahpilates

Geoffers

Does he turn up in any later census returns and if so do they give the place name in Prussia?

Could it possibly be Gindorf? - Which is the nearest I can find to Gircof using online maps of Germany.

Any other UNGERs from Prussia on the naturalisation records or in Census returns whose birthplace is recorded (this might at least give you an area to begin looking for records).

Have you tried the IGI?

sarahpilates

Default TNA'S

Thanks once again Geoffers, I will look into the information you have given me, its absolutely great that I found this web site and you.
    Sarahpilates.

Geoffers

One other possibility - Did he leave a will in which he mentions something along the lines of "My brother who still lives in Berlin".

You can search the probate calendar free at most County Record Offices or Local Studies Libraries. The calendar provides a fair amount of information in itself and if you find an entry, note down all teh detail and apply for a copy via The Probate Registry.

l.garey

I just found this thread which caught my attention because Solomon Unger, 1821-1885, was my gggrandfather. His wife was Paulina Cohen, 1821-1895. I have both as born in Prussia, but it may well be modern Poland. I have found my ggrandmother, his daughter Augusta, 1848-1902, as born in Gircof, Prussia, but I have also seen her referred to as born in London. She died in Stroud. I also have not been able to find where Gircof is. Augusta married my ggrandfather Garey in London in 1869. Her brother Phillip also came to England and his line still exists in Southern England. I wonder if sarahpilates who started this thread is descended from the same Solomon!
    Laurence

l.garey

I wonder if "Gircof" is a misspelling of Zirchow in modern Prussia.
    Laurence

mrsandrea

Please come join our group: Jews from Posen, Prussia THERE WAS no modern Poland back then, ov. We have many people who can help you with your UNGER family research.https://www.facebook.com/groups/jewsfromposen