liza99

Default Lum(b)ley - lost in Liverpool

Hi there

Trying to find the parents & siblings of Kate Lumley who married Robert Howard 1871(JFM) Ormskirk. Censuses from 1871 say she was born in Liverpool c1848.

IGI has :-
    Cath Lumbley born 20/2/1848 bap 27/2/1848 St Mary's Liverpool, parents Michael & Eliza.

I have tried to find Kate/Cath with various spellings on 1851/61 with no success. Also cannot find Michael & Eliza on any censuses.

There are other Lumley births in Liverpool on BMD who could be siblings:-
    Rhoda 1840(OND), Amy 1842(JFM), Maria 1847(JFM).
    Can't find any of these on censuses either.

Is Lumley an Irish name by any chance? I am wondering if they decamped to Ireland & Kate came back later.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Best wishes
    Liza

Jan1954

Hello Liza,

If you have not already done so, the first step should be to obtain the marriage certificate of Kate and Robert, as this would provide their fathers' names and occupations. This in turn could help you to find the families in the 1861 census.

Certificates may be ordered from the GRO and the full reference is March quarter, 1871, Ormskirk District, volume 8b, page 799. Follow the links in the box on the right-hand side of the GRO website.

Wirral

Rather than rely on the censuses, you first need to get birth & marriage certificates. The marriage certificate for Kate LUMLEY & Robert HOWARD will give the names & occupations of their fathers. Then you can start to look for births. That's assuming that you already have the birth & marriage certificates for the more recent ancestors.

I have a Liverpool ancestor with LUMBLEY as a middle name, but I haven't been able to work out where it comes from. She was Mary Lumbley EVANS & was born before civil registration began. I knew her father was John EVANS from her marriage certificate, but didn't know her mother's name. Eventually, in the census I found a younger sister, Christine EVANS living with Mary & Mary's husband. Christine was born after 1837 & I sent off for her birth certificate. Only to find that Christine wasn't Mary's sister after all - she was her illegitimate daughter.
    The good news was that from the names of the witnesses on Mary's marriage certificate I managed to work out who Mary's mother was.

liza99

Default Lum(b)ley - lost in Liverpool

Hi Jan1954 & Wirral

Thanks very much for replying. I was trying to avoid having to send off for certificates for now - thought it might be my stupidity that couldn't find them on any censuses!

Still find it strange that I can't find them anywhere. Hope they didn't change their name 'cos the certs won't help in that case.

Thanks again.
    Liza