Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lynleach

Default New Connexion Methodist Minister

I'm trying to trace my husband's g.g.grandfather Abraham Leach who was a New Connexion Minister in 1871. He appears on the census for that year as living in Bath, Somerset and his marriage certificate also for 1871 has the Percy Chapel, Bath down as the place where he was married.

He appears again on the 1881 census this time living in Guernsey listed as a New Connexion Minister , in 1891 the census gives his address as Halifax, Yorkshire and in 1901 he is living in Monks Coppenhall, Cheshire each time giving his occupation as a Methodist minister.

I would like to be able to find out at what chapels he served as a minister and wondered if there is anyone who could point me in the right direction

Thanks
    Lyn

Reputation beyond repute

If anywhere, this information would appear to be at the Methodist Archives and Research Centre (MARC) which is now housed at the John Rylands University Library of Manchester.

Abraham LEACH is listed in the online list of ministers

https://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/...exofministers/

lynleach

Peter
    Many thanks for your reply. Having found Abraham in the online list at the John Rylands site I will now have to try and get to MARC to see if I can find further information.

Thanks again for your help

Lyn

Reputation beyond repute

I hesitated to suggest "Hall's Circuits and Ministers" because I assumed that the New Connexion wouldn't be included. But if you happened to come across a copy at a main library, it might be worth having a quick look.

lynleach

Thanks Peter. I'm originally from Liverpool and will be visiting the city soon to see some relatives and go on a search at the public records office, it isn't to far to get to Manchester so I can look up the publications you suggest.

Thanks

Lyn

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Sadly Peter's right. Hall's Circuits and Ministers is a Wesleyan book (a great book for Family History!) and won't help. This MARC page gives a list of the books which might help you with a New Connexion Minister.

https://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/...s/#d.en.105664

Mary.

lynleach

Mary,
    Thankyou for the information. I hope to visit the John Rylands Library soon and now know what to look for!

Lyn

Susannah M

Default Reverend Abraham Leach

Dear Lyn

I've been searching for information on Abraham for such a long time, I can't tell you how exciting it is to find one of his relatives! Abraham and his wife Clara Matilda lived in our house between 1906 and 1920 - I've researched their wedding in Bath and their previous home, Holly Cottate in Gurnsey, one of their children, Gilbert Leach who was a piano tuner also lived in our house for one year, then married and moved two doors down!

I am hoping that you have a photograph of Abraham and Clara and if possible whether you would kindly let me have a copy?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes
    Susannah

Reputation beyond repute

Lyn doesn't seem to have checked in to the site for a few months. You may like to try email, there appears to be an address held. Click on Lyn's name in a message header and select "Send email..."

lynleach

Hi Susannah,
    Sorry I haven't been on the site for some time. The Leach family are my husband's family and I don't have a great deal of information about them. Sadly my husband's mum who knew quite a bit about them, died a few years back and we never got around to writing down any information she had. I will ask my husband if he knows of any photographs of Abraham (again his mum had quite a few family photos which are in boxes in storage). If anything of interest comes to light I will certainly get in touch. I was thrilled to find somebody who had information on Abraham. I haven't spent a great deal of time researching the Leach family as I am still gathering information on my side of the family and having reached a brick wall with them I spent a little time on trying to find my husband's family. I would be grateful for any information you have and I will pass on the small amount I have found so far.

Regards
    Lynda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast