pauline217

Default passenger lists from USA to England

I have successfully found my grandmother and her two sisters on passenger lists to New York in 1893 and 1895. However my grandmother and one sister were only visiting USA (New York). I don't know whether the other sister stayed in USA or whether she also returned. Has anyone any idea how I may find details/ships manifest etc. of my grandmother's return from New York?Thanks Pauline

A fountain of knowledge

Default Visiting USA

Hi Pauline,

May I ask how you found your grandmother & her sisters on the passenger lists? My ancestress is supposed to have visited her daughter in NY, sometime before 1904. I've wondered if the Ellis Island site Index includes only those planning to stay, or all passengers.

Thanks,

Peggy

pauline217

Hello Peggy
    I found my grandmother and her sisters on the Ellis Island website. The only information I needed to input was their names and year of birth. It seems that all arrivals in USA were processed through Ellis Island whether immigrants or visitors. Good luck Pauline

A fountain of knowledge

Default Just visiting

Thanks, Pauline. I wasn't sure if they'd be indexed on the site if they weren't
    immigrants.

So she didn't visit, or she used an alias. <g> Figures. Just once I'd like to have one of my great-grandmother's stories about her family turn out to be true. For variety.

Peggy

dsankey_uk

Exclamation Us to UK

Pauline, There are no records for passengers returning from the US. I have tried many ways. The only way to find out if they returned is check the census.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by dsankey_uk
    There are no records for passengers returning from the US. I have tried many ways. The only way to find out if they returned is check the census.
    Actually there are, though they can be difficult to use.

Inward passenger lists 1878-1960 are held by The National Archives at Kew in class BT26. There is no central index to them. These records are (as with the outward passenger lists in BT27) arranged by port and date. You would need to have an idea of one of these, or trhe name of a ship to stand a chance of finding someone.

Geoffers

Wirral

Whilst looking through the Liverpool Mercury 28 December 1870 for an obit, I came across a list of about 40 passengers arriving in Liverpool from New York on the Steamship City of Paris.
    So you could try looking through the local paper for the port that your ancestors arrived in. I stress the word you, because this is the sort of search that wouldn't just take hours, it would take weeks. And I don't think you will find anyone volunteering to do that!

A fountain of knowledge

In some new records on Ancestry, I just found what looks to be my GGGmother leaving Liverpool, then returning from NY, on that rumored family visit. Wait long enough....