Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MariaL

Question William Cowan - Beechwood Cemetery

Good morning!

I was wondering if anyone has access to the Beechwood Cemetery CD's in Ottawa. I am looking for the parents of William Cowan who died 7 January 1899 and was buried at Beechwood Cemetery with his son Holmes Cowan on Monday 9 January 1899. They both died when their coach hit a train. I have the newspaper cuttings of the tragedy along with their biographies, but unfortunately for me they do not include the parents of William who was born in county Leitrim in 1825. He emigrated to Canada in 1845.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Maria

jmduke

Default Beechwood Cemetery

Hi Maria:

I'll believe that the Ottawa Public Library has these records. I'll take a look this week. However, as William was an adult, I doubt that his paents' names will be listed.

JMD

MariaL

Smile William Cowan - Beechwood Cemetery

Hi JMD,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. I look forward to hearing from you...

Kind regards,
    Maria

Mary Anne

MariaL

Here are the death registrations from Archives of Ontario:

Schedule C Deaths
    p. 757
    County of Carleton; Division of Ottawa East

Name of Deceased: Cowan, Wm
    Sex: M
    Date of Death (Month/Year): Jany 7 99
    Residence (No. of House or Lot/Concession or Street): McLaren[?] St./Ottawa
    Occupation/Married or Single: County Treasurer/M
    Where born: Ireland
    Cause of Death: Accidental collision with train
    Name of Physician in attendance: A. Freeland, Coroner
    Religious denomination: C.E.
    Name of person making return: A. Freeland, M.D.
    Date of Registration: Jany 9 99 [number of registration stamped:] 0074451

Name of Deceased: Cowan, Holmes
    Sex: M
    Date of Death (Month/Year): Jany 7 99
    Residence (No. of House or Lot/Concession or Street): Besser[er] St./Ottawa
    Occupation/Married or Single: Hotel Keeper/M
    Where born: North Gower
    Cause of Death: Accidental collision with train
    Name of Physician in attendance: A. Freeland, Coroner
    Religious denomination: C.E.
    Name of person making return: A. Freeland, M.D.
    Date of Registration: Jany 9 99 [number of registration stamped:] 0074452

Source Citation: Roll: MS935_91. Archives of Ontario. Registrations of Deaths, 1869-1934. MS 935, 496 reels. Archives of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

(the square brackets are mine - in one address there was informaton missing, in the other I cannot read the handwirting but knowing the area am guessing; in case of the reg numbers just noting they are stamped on the page)

IF you can find out their street addresses (city directories are at the National Archives here in Ottawa), you might try going to the Land Registry Office (also here in Ottawa, but sadly not online) since there will very likley be a will on file there that could give you lots of informaiton. I would offer to do the lookup for you but am not planning to be going there soon.

Mary Anne

MariaL

Hello Mary Anne,

Thank you very much for all that information. I do know that William's address was 219 Nicholas Street. His son, Holmes, I believe was living at the Gilpin House Hotel, Little Sussex Street. If anyone is going to the library, it would be great if a copy of the will could be obtained. I know that William updated his will a day or so before his death as he added a codicil due to his daughter being due to marry.

Thanks very much.
    Maria

Mary Anne

MariL

You're very welcome.

Yes, the registration could easily say Nicholas Street. I'm sorry I won't be able to go look it up for you. It might not help anyhow, with the parent's names.

What about his marriage?

Mary Anne

jane.harrison.9

Hi Maris, does the newspaper article give the names of wives ? If so we may be able to trace the marriage and hopefully the parents names.

MariaL

Hello Jane & Mary Anne,

I know that William married a Caroline McCrae, whose father was Capt McCrae of Montague. They married in 1850 but I can't seem to find the marriage certificate. Holmes Cowan married 1st. Almira Josephine Lockwood and 2nd. Mrs Gilpin. Both were members of St Johns' Church.

Thanks,
    Maria

Mary Anne

MariaL

For William it's bit tougher --Montague is a township in Lanark County, in Ontario, when it was still called Canada West. It might also have still been in Bathurst District.

In 1850, the marriage would have been recorded in the local register - Ontario registration of marriages only started in 1869, although Ancestry shows some marriages from 1857. It might have been recorded by one of the circuit riders in the area (my methodists were...)

So, you will need to find Lanark County records. I would try writing to the Lanark County Genealogical Society - here is their queries page: https://globalgenealogy.com/LCGS/rqueries/lcgsqury.htm

For Holmes - here is his second marriage - Margaret was a *home girl* from Leitrim too:

Schedule B – Marriages

No. 002272
    His Name: Holmes Thomas Cowan
    Residence when Married: Ottawa
    Place of Birth: North Gower, Ont
    Bachelor or Widower: W
    Rank or Profession: --
    Names of Parents: Wm Cowan & Caroline Cowan
    Her Name: Margaret Gilpin
    Residence when married: Ottawa
    Place of Birth: County of Leitrim, Ireland
    Spinster or Widow: W
    Names of Parents: James Gilmour & Jane Gilmour
    Names and Residences of Witnesses: Albert[?] E. Cowan[?]; Margaret MacKay
    Date and Place of Marriage: Jany 8th 1890, Ottawa
    Religious Denomination of Bridegroom: Ch. of England
    Religious Denomination of Bride: Ch. Of England
    By whom Married: Rev. A.W. MacKay
    By License or Banns: L

They're also in the 1891 census in Ottawa, apparently in the hotel that Holmes kept, because there's a long list of lodgers. But no new info about the couple.

Mary Anne

MariaL

Smile William Cowan - Beechwood Cemetery Lookup

Hello Mary Anne

Thanks for this information. I will contact Lanark County genealogical society and see if they have anything there.

Many thanks for all your advice.
    Maria

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast