Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mykin

Question The Cowan family at Beechwood Cemetary

I was re reading all of the emails and have to ask, Beechwood Cemetary, is it in Toronto area? Because the emails sound like they are talking about Ottawa.

MariaL

Default Beechwood Cemetery

Hello Doe/Canada,

The cemetery is in Ottawa, not Toronto. Thank you for your kind offer, but if you reside in Toronto, then Ottawa is too much of a distance to take photographs of the headstones for me.

Again, thanks for the thought anyhow.

Regards,
    Maria

CanadianCousin

Hi Maria,

Have you looked at Beechwood Cemetery's Website? I noticed the following under Genealogy Research:

Should you wish to engage Beechwood's assistance in tracing your family tree, please do not hesitate to call for an appointment. Some families may wish to perform extensive research. Should this be the case, a nominal fee would apply. You may also e-mail us any questions you may have to [email protected].
    Perhaps they could tell you if there's any information about's William's parents on his gravestone (hopefully they won't charge you since it's a simple enquiry - it's worth asking in any event).

Hope this helps -

Tim

MariaL

Smile Beechwood Cemetery Lookup

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the information, I'll certainly take a look at their website and see what they can find out for me.

Best wishes,
    Maria

William Cowan

Default William Cowan may be cousin of mine

Based on the newspaper quote below I think my relative is a relative of William and Holmes Cowan. My relatives are Mary and William Cowan whose son David was killed in the Northwest Terr. in 1885. Please contact me. (Note - as best as I can tell the son of your relative mentioned here is John). Thanks, Bill

The mother of Constable Cowan for whose murder Lone Man is to be tried has been living on Wilbrod street in this city for some time. She is a cousin of County Treasurer Cowan, whose son also met his death, by drowning, in the, Northwest while serving with the Mounted Police. – Battleford Harold newspaper 26th 1885

GlennC

I believe that William Cowan's parents are Patrick Cowan and Anne Coffyn, who are buried in North Gower Union Cemetery, North Gower, Ontario. Here is the link to photos of tombstones in that cemetery https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....n/GOWUNION.HTM

William Cowan was also second cousin of David Cowan Sr. of Leitrim, Ontario, Gloucester Township.

MariaL

Glenn
    Thanks for that information. I always thought that the gravestone was for my Patrick Cowan, however, when I checked on A*****y for John Cowan's parents (William's brother) they had them listed as Patrick Cowan and Anne Kendrick - which threw a spanner in the works! I'm wondering whether John's death certificate information is incorrect. I know this is a longshot, but I don't suppose you know whether any records would still exist (internment details) for North Gower Union Cemetery and who might hold them?

Again, thanks for getting in touch.
    Maria

GlennC

Maria,

Two possibilities, a newspaper obituary or Anglican burial records. Both may or may not provide information on parents. Do you have a date of death for John Cowan?

The 1879 Belden Atlas of Carleton County includes a biography of William Cowan. This includes the correct spelling of his mother's maiden name as CORNYN.

Glenn

MariaL

Hello Glenn,

Thanks for your reply. I know that John died on 10 October, 1920 aged 81. I have a copy of his obituary from the Ottawa Journal a day later. This does not, sadly, give his parents names. It says he was a pioneer member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church and that Rev. Bishop Brewing, of Toronto, assisted by Rev. C. E. Wincott will conduct the funeral service. Do you know if a copy of the service would be held anywhere? Sorry for all these questions....

and thank you again, for confirming the surname Cornyn for William (which one would assume would be the same for John as they were brothers).

Maria

GlennC

Maria,

There could also be an obituary published in the Ottawa Citizen, which may contain different information. Another possibility is to contact the Rideau Township Historical Society. Their website is rideautownshiphistory.org They may have information on both John and William Cowan since they both lived in that area.

Emmanuel Episcopal Church sounds like some break away group from the Anglican Church. Regardless, as far as I can tell, this specific church no longer exists or is under a completely different name. Good luck in finding records from such a church, unless they may have been transferred to some archives. Now, which archives? You might ask this question to the Rideau Township Historical Society. Was a funeral director listed in the obituary?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast