Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    greann

Default Begging for help!!!

Hi all,
    I am desperatley trying to track down a marriage between Dr. Berverley Rolf Simpson and Jeanette Harcourt. It was Sept. 3 1917, but can't find any record of it. I know the "Doc" was in the military so could this be why I can't find it?
    Ann

pipsqueak

I have looked in the GRO Army marriages index and they are not there, and I have double checked BMD records, and they aren't there either. I can only suggest re-checking with variations on names, spellings and dates (dates I thought I knew because they were written down have turned out to be off by a year).

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Where was the event supposed to have happened? What is the source of the date?

It is not in the GRO index (England and Wales) for the September or December quarters 1917 or Sept quarter 1918. I checked for Rolf, in case reversed his forenames, and also the surname Simson.
    ChristineR

Wirral

On the Canadian passenger list, Jeanette is described as single & Beverley as married. Then, confusingly, under occupations, his is "journalist" which is later over-stamped with "RET'D CANADIANS" & hers is "housewife", overwritten by hand with "With husband Ret'd Candn.".
    They are also both R.C.. Perhaps they were married hurriedly by a priest in a church, but there was no registrar present, so there would be no listing of the marriage on the GRO (that is the civil register).
    Also, they went to Canada in May 1919 & Jeanette was only 19 at the time. She might have been only 17 then, at the time you say she was married. Under age (under 21), she would have needed her parent's consent to get married - perhaps there was no marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    On the Canadian passenger list, Jeanette is described as single & Beverley as married. Then, confusingly, under occupations, his is "journalist" which is later over-stamped with "RET'D CANADIANS" & hers is "housewife", overwritten by hand with "With husband Ret'd Candn.".
    They are also both R.C.. Perhaps they were married hurriedly by a priest in a church, but there was no registrar present, so there would be no listing of the marriage on the GRO (that is the civil register).
    Also, they went to Canada in May 1919 & Jeanette was only 19 at the time. She might have been only 17 then, at the time you say she was married. Under age (under 21), she would have needed her parent's consent to get married - perhaps there was no marriage.

On the vague idea that they might have headed for Gretna, I checked Scotlands People for Simpson & Harcourt 1916-1918.
    A couple of possibilties occur - have you been checking spelling variations, for example? Also, this was the middle of WW1. There wasn't anything as drastic as the blitz, but it might be worth investigating whether records were lost in all the confusin. I'd also check other years - brides did lie about their ages.

Good luck,
    Lesley

greann

Hi all,
    thanks for your help. Berverley was a Dr. in the Canadian Signal corp. Both their parents were Drs. The source I used for this marriage was a newspaper clipping here in Canada within the home town of Beverley's father. Wirrwl.............. I'm wondering if you are correct in assuming there was no actual marriage. I have checked Canadian records and have gone to the archives. I found his death records and it did not mention a spouse. Also SHE tried to immigrate to the US and was debarred for crimminal pergury...........was using her MS instead of her "married" name.
    Ann

giveover

Hi Ann,

There is a marriage for Beverly Rolf Simpson, son of Dr. Simpson to Fanny May 'Peggy' Loveday 10th November 1928.

This was in Elgin County.

Anne

Wirral

Not only is there no marriage for Jeanette HARCOURT, I cannot find a birth or a census entry for her. Other than the passenger list & the immigration application from Canada to the US, I can't find any reference to her at all. I suspect her name might be fictious.

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Harcourt

There's a One Name Study for Harcourt - see this page. If you look at the list of researchers (you need to click on to the second page - here) you'll find a few entries from people researching Harcourts in Canada. If I've understood it correctly, I think there was one born in Australia who ended up in Canada - so something else to try?

(You can also find me in the list - mine were in Co. Armagh.)

Arthur

greann

Thank you all VERY much for your help...............
    Arthur thank you for the One Name Study info. I'll have a closer look.
    Ann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast