Dawn Whittaker

Question Family in Llanveynoe, Clodock, Herefordshire

New to this site, I thought I'd ask if there are other contributors out there looking at families in this area.

I am researching Howells, Smith, Watkins and Williams in the Olchon Valley at the moment - my family seem to have been there for centuries - farming.

there are also connections to Proberts, Powells and Davies

I am particularly interested in James Smith of Olchon Court.
    Any references to "the Dingle"
    Smiths of "Trechddu" -or trilocchddu, trelachddu
    burials at St Peters - Llanveynoe

Other properties I have found refernces too include:-
    the Wern, Thw Wayne, Blackhill, The Cwm, Newhouse,

Restless

Default Clodock families

Hullo

My family has some distant ancestors with family names George, Jones and Watkins with links to the area.

They may be of interest to you. If so please let me know.

They are Elizabeth George B 1833 Longtown who married John Jones B 1817 Clodock. They later lived at Llancillo and Walterstone.

Elizabeth's father was Arnold George B 1797 Clodock who married Ann Watkins on 18.7.1824.

I can follow the tree from them to now but am now stuck so any onformation you have on the above would be most welcome.

Alan

Barbara Griffiths

I'm mainly researching PARRY families in that area at the moment, but have WILLIAMS (at Tymawr, Clodock), JONES (Glasbury, Glynfach, & Capel-y-ffin), and HUGHES (Possibly Llantilio Pertholey). Also interested in GRIFFITHS - one of the PARRY girls married into that family and used fairly unusual girls names, Amsey & Prina.

Most of the family "border-hopped" during the 1800s, between Herefordshire, Breconshire and Monmouthshire so I have collected assorted pieces of information. Some of it (such as land tax, electoral rolls and polls for Clodock) I hope to transcribe and put onto my web site eventually, so it might be of use to you.

Alan, there's an Arnold GEORGE in the land tax for Longtown in 1798/99. He can't be the one you mention, but perhaps is relevant. Have you tried the parish registers for further information?
    Barbara

Restless

Barbara,

Thanks for the reply.

There may be a link with the Arnold Georges in that the forenames were often repeated in subsequent generations.

Unfortunately, I live in Southern England and the parish registers are hard to access.

As for John Jones, although I have little information on his early years, mine lived at Lodge Farm Llancillo 1860 - 70s.

Sarah, his daughter, possibly born before his marriage to Elizabeth George, married into the Watkins family from Staunton on Wye.

Alan

Barbara Griffiths

Hello Alan,

Quote Originally Posted by Restless
    Unfortunately, I live in Southern England and the parish registers are hard to access.
    Have you checked to see if there is an LDS Family History Centre anywhere near - you can get the films in on loan to view at their centres.

I have looked on the MI fiche from HEF FHS and found mention of an Arnold GEORGE, although not with regard to his death. "At the Hereford summer Assizes in the year 1805 in a cause then tried before Lord Ellenborough (Chief Justice of the Court of Kings Bench) where in Arnold GEORGE, James JENKINS, James WATKINS & Benjamin LEWIS were Plaintiffs & Edward SPARKES, Clerk, Vicar of the parish of Clodock was defendant. The following Moduses were established...." (continues by stating the tithes to be paid)

No specific family information of course, but perhaps adds a bit of history.

I'll keep a look-out for your family as I am listing my PARRYs in the area.

Best wishes
    Barbara

cpredota

Default family in Clodock

Hello everyone, this is my first message. My ancestor Richard Reece was vicar of Clodock in 1722. Is anyone researching this family or is this family mentioned in their own family history? Looking forward to hearing from someone
    cpredota

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by cpredota
    Hello everyone, this is my first message. My ancestor Richard Reece was vicar of Clodock in 1722. Is anyone researching this family or is this family mentioned in their own family history? Looking forward to hearing from someone
    cpredota
    Hello cpredota,

You will have a much better chance of a response if you start a new thread.

To do this select the Hereford forum page (or whatever is the relevant forum for your posting) and click on the "New Thread" icon near the top of the page. Insert a title for your posting eg Richard Reece Vicar of Clodock and then your text and sit back and wait for the replies to roll in.
    Last edited by Procat; 12-06-2005 at 6:14 AM.

judester

Default Hughes/Vogt/Schmidt/Jenkins/Williams/Pritchard/Parry/Watkins

Have all these people in my tree maybe we are related. Judy

Barbara Griffiths

Quote Originally Posted by judester View Post
    Have all these people in my tree maybe we are related. Judy
    Hi Judy,

What information do you have on your Parrys? Even if we aren't related, I collect all occurrences of that surname so may be able to help with further details.

Regards
    Barbara

janbooth

Default Richard REECE of Clodock

According to the Herefordshire Marriage Index, Richard REECE, Vicar, married Mary MADDOCKS at Clodock on 6 February 1721.

Janet