Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bwarnerok

Post What might this say? Can you fill in the blanks?

here is the will for Captain William Parker, 1793.

https://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...aptparker1.jpg

This is page 1 of 2 and page 2 really doesn't say much more except for it gives the guardianship of his 2 children, Charles William and Mary Elizabeth to his uncle Reverend William Parker of St. James, Westminster and the Rev's wife, Mary. I've no idea how old Capt. Parker is when he dies, or what he died of.

On this first page, I'm trying to figure out is there is yet another name that might help me. It looks like it might be Mr. parnister or Barrister? I read this that Captain Parker is leaving 200 hundred pounds to Rev Parker "who will be pleased to pay it to Mr. ________ who with great benelovence of mind ___ gratiously complied to advance that sum to my son..."

it's possible that Charles William was at Westminster school at this time and maybe this man has something to do with that? (Charles didn't live much longer -- he was of a "wild disposition" and apparently being raised by the minister didn't help him one bit).

Then a bit later I believe this gratious benefactor is mentioned again?

"...and I express my most friendly sentiments to Mr. ______________ for his ____ findings in _____. And...."

Hoping with this stab in the dark it might help me figure out who the mother of Capt Parker's children were, or where/when they were born and who Capt Parker's parents might have been.

Thank you.
    Betsy

Astoria

Looks like Dr. Penniston for his tender findings.

pipsqueak

Mr Penniston.... tender kindness.....

Astoria

cont.

.......in so doing. And I request my executor to give my watch chain and Scals (scales?) to my son Charles William Parker

bwarnerok

What in the world could this Penniston man have found that was so tender?

Astoria

Another word for discretion perhaps.

Colin Moretti

Mr Penniston

... watch chain and seals ...

Colin

bwarnerok

I can't find where a Penniston was ever headmaster at Westminster (that would've been TOO easy). But why he's the go between from to son Charles makes you think he's somewhat tied to the child. And where is the mother to these children?

Perhaps this Penniston was a medical Dr. who diagnosed Parker, which would help with the 'tender findings" but doesn't explain why he's the one to hand over 200 pounds to the kid.

I think that maybe it's the SEAL not scales that he is leaving to the son - that would make more sense.

-b-

bwarnerok

well so much for auras... I think the glorious beacon of light has outshone us all. :-)

Astoria

Looking again I agree with Colin on the seals, would they have been of huge importance at that time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast