Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CaroleLee11

Default Chelsea Pensioners

One of my GGgrandfathers was James Stattard b abt 1811 in Quadring Lincolnshire. He m Sarah who was b in Ireland. In the 1851 Census and on he was mentioned as a pensioner. First child b in Ashton Lancashire. Their second Child was born in Gibralter Spain, the next 3 children were born in Barbadoes West Indies. Wondering what Regiment he would have been in to have gone to these places and how do I find out. Help would be appreciated.
    Carole

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleLee11 View Post
    One of my GGgrandfathers was James Stattard b abt 1811 in Quadring Lincolnshire. He m Sarah who was b in Ireland. In the 1851 Census and on he was mentioned as a pensioner. First child b in Ashton Lancashire. Their second Child was born in Gibralter Spain, the next 3 children were born in Barbadoes West Indies. Wondering what Regiment he would have been in to have gone to these places and how do I find out. Help would be appreciated.
    Carole
    Have you tried the 1841 census?
    When was the first child born? Late enough for a birth certificate?
    And in the 1851, does it actually say "Chelsea pansioner" or just "Pensioner"?

Lesley

CaroleLee11

Default Chelsea Pensioner

Thanks Lesley,
    They are not mentioned anywhere in 1841. Their marriage was probably around 1833 because the first child that I found was born Dec 1834, christened Feb 1835 in Winwick,Lancashire. It seems by the other children's births that they were away then and all the other children were born overseas. Searching today I found that the son James born 1841 was a Private in the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Regiment of the Cheshire Regiment on the 1871 Census. I wonder if that was the same Regiment as his father?
    I'll keep looking
    Carole

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleLee11
    One of my GGgrandfathers was James Stattard b abt 1811 in Quadring Lincolnshire. He m Sarah who was b in Ireland. In the 1851 Census and on he was mentioned as a pensioner. First child b in Ashton Lancashire. Their second Child was born in Gibralter Spain, the next 3 children were born in Barbadoes West Indies. Wondering what Regiment
    Was he by any chance Robert James/James Robert? If so, try ordering this document

Robert STATTARD

The births of children might be found in either the:
    Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924 or
    (Army) Chaplains' Returns of Births 1796-1880

Both indexes can be found on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast' which also has the Chaplains' returns of marriages.

There is an additional set of registers - the Regimental Registers of Marriages 1761-1924; but this is not indexed and only sorted by regiment. If you know the regiment you can request the GRO to make a search and supply a copy of the certificate.

Also have a look at this thread which gives some advice on how to search TNA's catalogue - TNA has loads of research guides on the British Army

CaroleLee11

Default Chelsea Pensioners

No his name was definitely James as I have found him on other Census. I will have to have a look on findmypast I haven't looked there before, Do you have to pay to have a look? I now have more to find in regiments before the turn of the century to 1900. Are a lot of these on there? I cant find them on Ancestry.

I think this site beats a lot of others when you dont have access to the British Archives. I found I can't find anything there without going in and that is a bit hard from over here! At least someone here comes up with some suggestions.

Carole

Procat

Hi Carole,

Findmypast is a pay site. You can however do a search for free. A number of forum members have access so if you do need a lookup for something you find when searching just post the details with a request.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleLee11
    No his name was definitely James as I have found him on other Census.
    Do bear in mind that on census returns people did not always use their full names. One of my gt-gt-grandfathers was born George Robert and at varying times in his life was known by his full name; George; and on occasions (marriage and census) just as Robert. People don't always keep to one name (or even to spell the name consistently); I have a theory that it is a deliberate cunning plot intended to cause us additional problems generations later.

Have you checked the parish registers for Quadring - even if this is a different chap, it may turn out to be a brother or cousin?

sue keeler

Default James Stattard

Hi, I have just joined this site and have a message for Carole Lee. My husband is decended from the James Stattard you mention through his son, Timothy and I wonder if you would e-mail me.

Sue

p. harrison

Default chelsea pensioner

My ancestor was a Chelsea Pensioner from 1827-1869.What did this entail?How was he paid?How much was the pension and how do I find any record of his payments. He was discharged in 1827 and then worked as a farm labourer until 1869.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by p. harrison View Post
    My ancestor was a Chelsea Pensioner from 1827-1869.What did this entail?
    There were two types of pensioners, in-pensioners (who lived in the hospital) and out-pensioners (who received a paid pension).

The Royal Hospital web-site will give you some information about those who lived(d) there.

This TNA research guide will tell you about British Army: Soldiers' Pensions

Have you looked for his discharge documents on TNA's catalogue?

In the word or phrase field enter his surname
    In the year range try 1800-1830
    In the department or series code enter - WO

If you can find the record you can order it from TNA

He was discharged in 1827 and then worked as a farm labourer until 1869.
    Ah, so he seems to have been an out-pensioner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast