Thread: LLCM and ALCM

lil row

Default LLCM and ALCM

In newspaper articles circa 1939, my great aunt has the letters LLCM and ALCM after her name. I know she taught piano in Dublin. Do the letters signify a music degree or a level of proficiency?
    Thanks

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by lil row View Post
    In newspaper articles circa 1939, my great aunt has the letters LLCM and ALCM after her name. I know she taught piano in Dublin. Do the letters signify a music degree or a level of proficiency?
    Thanks
    LLCM = Licentiate of the London College of Music
    ALCM = Associate of the London College of Music

If you look on Wikipedia for example, it gives a bit of info about these two -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...c_Examinations

Hope this helps

Mark

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    LLCM = Licentiate of the London College of Music
    ALCM = Associate of the London College of Music

If you look on Wikipedia for example, it gives a bit of info about these two -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...c_Examinations

Hope this helps

Mark

Mark

You're quite correct, they were post nominals awarded by The London College of Music and applied to both Music and also Speech & Drama. Within the last few years the LCM became part of Thames Valley University.

In order to achieve either of these awards it takes a great deal of time, effort and ability, so I would say that the lady in question would, most probably have been a very accomplished pianist. The qualifications are now regarded as being equivalent to around 2nd/3rd year of undergraduate study at university.

Hope this helps

BG (LLCM Speech & Drama)