hubberston

Default Sutherland clan of 1840

I have written evidence of all DOB`s from a letter to my Grandfather outlining his Grandfathers family married in 1840. They had 7 children but I have been unable to loacate them either in FamilySearch and Scotlands People. Can anyone point me in the right direction

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi hubberston, and welcome to the forums!

If you post all the names, dates and locations that you have, I'm sure our members will do their best to help.

hubberston

Hi ya, tks for getting back to me . Here are the dates and places of my family born after 1840, but no hard copies of their DOB/Death

Parent dob have copy death have copy

James 1816 Reay Caithness Yes ? no
    Euphemia 1813 Edinbugh yes 1876 yes

Children

Charlotte 1841 Edinburgh no 1848 no
    William 1843 Edinburgh no 1917 yes (My G-Grandfather)
    Janet (Twin above) 1843 Edinburgh no 1843 no
    Elizabeth 1850 Edinburgh no ? no
    Euphemia 1852 Edinburgh no ? no
    James Alexander 1852 Unknown no 1879 no
    Charles Hamilton 1855 Aberdour Fife yes (FamilySearch) 1887 Yes

Any help I would be grateful Tks

Coromandel

Hello hubberston and welcome to the forum

Do you have Charles Sutherland's birth certificate? If not this may be a good place to start, as 1855 is the 'magic' year for Scottish genealogy: in that first year of civil registration the registers are particularly informative. You should be able to see the entry on Scotland's People for a modest fee.

hubberston

I have the FamilySearch records for Charles Hamilton Sutherland of 1855. Born Aberdour Fife tks

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by hubberston View Post
    I have the FamilySearch records for Charles Hamilton Sutherland of 1855. Born Aberdour Fife tks
    The birth certificate should have much more information than FamilySearch does. An 1855 Scottish birth certificate should show the following:
    'name; whether informant present at birth; baptismal name (if different) or name given without baptism; sex; date, and time of birth; where born; father's rank and profession, occupation, age and birthplace; when and where married, and any previous issue, both living and deceased; mother's name and maiden name, how many children she has had, age and where born; signature and qualification of informant, and residence if out of the house where the birth occurred.'

From 'Tracing your Scottish ancestors: the official guide' (5th edition, 2009).