Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mandymad

thanks Peter, I'll have to have a trip to London to have a look at the records.

Cossack

Hi,
    I can probably give you more info on what you are looking for as my Great-Grandfather was in the C.I.V. so have a fair bit of knowledge, if you would like to mail me I can help you out. The C.I.V. were a specially raised regiment for the Boer War & NOT Yeomanry as suggested before, but they were all from London Volunteer Battalions. I already found your chap in my lists & his Volunteer regiment he belonged to too :-)

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    The C.I.V. were a specially raised regiment for the Boer War & NOT Yeomanry as suggested before
    You'd better tell the Guildhall Library, then

Cossack

They should already know!!! The City of London Imperial Volunteers were raised purely for the Boer war in 1900 & drawn exlusively from the London Volunteer regiments as they were all trained marksmen. The Yeomanry were a completly different kettle of fish altogether as this was the designation for cavalry units although the CIV did have a mounted unit as well as artillery, machine guns & even cyclists!. Then again, I'm only speaking from being a the Great-Grandson of a C.I.V. Sergeant so I'm probably wrong ;-)

Reputation beyond repute

On checking, I see that the extract that you took issue with is actually from a National Archives research guide and not from the Guildhall Library.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...fletID=147&j=1

If the National Archives has something wrong, I think you should let them know.

Cossack

no problem at all!!! I have a good amount of research material & original items too including a letter home from my Great-Grandfather during his service with the CIV. When I'm next at the NA I shall have a word!!! Best regards....Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12