Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mandymad

Default late C.I.V. -What does it mean??

Can anyone help me please? I've come across an abbreviation on the 1901 Census in the occupations columb: late C.I.V.
    Does anyone have any idea what it stands for, I'm at a total loss. Thanks

Jan1954

Could you post the full census reference, please - and the details of the person against whose name it is written.

Then, those of us with access can have a look.

Thank you,

mandymad

James Sleeman RG13/236/108/30 34 Kepple Street, Holborn.

Thanks for looking for me

Jan1954

Well, I have had a look and I am sorry to say that I have not the faintest idea.

It is very clearly written as "late C I V " and the enumerator's mark also has what seems to be the letter "L" by it.

I don't suppose that you have an occupation on any other documentaion for this chap, do you?

City Imperial Volunteers?

See https://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinship/civ.html
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Jan1954

That would certainly fit, Sue - especially as it was a London volunteer outfit. With them returning the previous October, by the census of 1901, it would still be fresh in everyone's minds as well.

Do you know if there are records anywhere that mandymad could check? TNA?

mandymad

Smile

James stated he was a tailor on his marriage certificate in June 1901. I too was wondering if there was any connection with the Boer war and City Imperial Volunteers would certainly fit in with that idea. Is there anything anywhere to look up who the Volunteers were? Thanks for all the help, you're all so fast.

I confess that I came to this not through my South African roots but by typing CIV into https://www.acronymfinder.com/

City Imperial Volunteers seemed the only likely hit, so I googled them and came up with the link above.

Typing "City Imperial Volunteers" into Google gives several useful hits, including
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n....asp?ID=O58705
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

mandymad

Thanks Sue, I had a look at this and it doesn't look as though there is much to try and find as most of the records were destroyed in WWII. But if anyone has any other ideas then please let me know. Otherwise it means a trip to London.

Reputation beyond repute

"The City of London Yeomanry, also known as the City Imperial Volunteers, was raised at the same time as the Imperial Yeomanry. No attestation papers have survived but some details about volunteers and other records are held at the Guildhall Library. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast