QuinceJam

Default St James Villa Sydenham Road Croydon

My latest purchase was a death certificate that shows the place of death of Lydia Farley, widow of Thomas Farley, as St James Villa. Her grandson, J. Hunter was the informant on the death certificate at same location and present at the death.

When an address is shown as "St James Villa" what style of residence is this? Does anyone have knowledge of the style of homes in Sydenham road, Croydon that might be able to help with this question.

In an 1878 Post Office Directory for Croydon, I found a Lieut.Col Hunter living at "St James Villa" but I have not been able to locate him in the 1871 or 1881 Census. If Grandson (presuming Lt.Col is the grandson) and Grandmother were both living at this residence would they have owned the house or just rented?

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by QuinceJam
    My latest purchase was a death certificate that shows the place of death of Lydia Farley, widow of Thomas Farley, as St James Villa. Her grandson, J. Hunter was the informant on the death certificate at same location and present at the death.
    And the year was...............?

(Depending on the year there may be sources of information to assist)

If Grandson (presuming Lt.Col is the grandson) and Grandmother were both living at this residence would they have owned the house or just rented?
    Could be either, did any of the family leave a will in which they bequeath the freehold property to someone?

Mutley

There is a St James Road and St James Church. Many of the large old Victorian Houses were given the name 'Villa' so it could have been in this locality.
    May be worth having a browse here

Type "Sydenham Road" into Google Image Search and you get some nice old photos.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

QuinceJam

Lightbulb Sydenham Road Croydon

Thank you every one for your very helpful suggestions.

Sorry I forgot to include the year of death. Lydia died in 1880. - I do not know about a will but presume she would have one as she is shown in the 1871 Census as an "annuitant" living at St John Grove, Croydon, with a granddaughter, Sarah Lydia Farley and a servant, Alice Holman. Where would I find a will? Is there a central repository or would it be local courts?

If she died in Croydon would she be buried in Croydon?

Thanks again.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by QuinceJam View Post
    Lydia died in 1880. - I do not know about a will but presume she would have one as she is shown in the 1871 Census as an "annuitant" living at St John Grove, Croydon, with a granddaughter, Sarah Lydia Farley and a servant, Alice Holman. Where would I find a will? Is there a central repository or would it be local courts?
    Have a look at the information held by the Probate Office.

If she died in Croydon would she be buried in Croydon?
    Probably but not always. If she was a long-term resident of the place, then I would expect so, unless there was a family grave elsewhere that it was tradition to use. If she left a will, there could be instructions therein. You could also check local newspapers for any obituary/newspaper report of her death.