somanyrellies

Default Welshman born in Preston Lancs 1900

Hello, This is my first enquiry on this website/forum, so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place.
    It appears that one of my extended family was born in Preston on 10th October 1900. Name James Stuart REECE.
    Does anyone have access to Parish Records for that area please. It should show Mary Hannah Reece as the mother. I'm interested in ascertaining the father's name please.

Jan1954

Just in case no-one has access, there is a birth registration for a James REECE in Preston registration district, December quarter, volume 8e, page 607. However, it is for the previous year - 1900.

I'm not sure if this is the right one, but your information could be a year out... Where did it come from?

I have checked the December quarter for 1901 but he is not there.

Edit: Just re-read the title of your post, so 1900 could be correct one.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 12-09-2008 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Re-read title

somanyrellies

Thanks Jan1954, I've edited the body text to show the correct year 1900.
    regards.

Was James Stuart illegitimate? Would Mary Hannah have gone to England to have him?

He seems to appear on the 1901 census in Bagillt, Flintshire with his grandparents, Nathaniel and Hannah REECE
    Class: RG13; Piece: 5210; Folio: 82; Page: 12

Nathaniel REECE 56 coal miner & hewer b Bagillt
    Hannah wife 51 b Bagillt
    Nathaniel son 19 coal miner b Bagillt
    Edith dau 17 b Bagillt
    James W son 15 colliery labourer b Bagillt
    Kezia dau 11 b Bagillt
    George H son 8 b Bagillt
    James S grandson 5 mo b Lancashire, Preston
    George JONES nephew 22 coal miner & hewer b Bagillt

Mary Hannah is not with them but she appears with the family in 1891 and was clearly the daughter of Nathaniel and Hannah.
    RG12; Piece: 4606; Folio 10; Page 13
    Their children in 1891 were listed as
    John Edward 13
    Janet Ellen 13
    Mary Hannah 11
    Nathaniel 9
    Edith 7
    James William 5
    Beatrice Emily 3
    Kessia 1
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

somanyrellies

Thanks Sue,

I believe that Mary Hannah departed these shores to live in the USA and/or Canada shortly after 1900, although I cannot find any records. She left with a colliery manager? who is possibly the baby's father.
    regards,

somanyrellies

I've edited the main text to add a possible name. I don't know whether this will help or not?

somanyrellies

Hello, 'somanyrellies' here,

I'm not really sure how this works or what protocols are involved in this question but here goes.

I don't think that I've entered this topic in the right forum; if a moderator is viewing can they advise whether it would be better in 'Specific Lookups' and, if so, how do I re-allocate?

many thanks

Mutley

Hello,
    I think you are doing fine. The threads that you start do not always get immediate answers. It can take a day, a week or a month or a year.

You need to make sure that you set up an email notification for, replies to your threads, in your profile. That way you will know if you get an answer or you can just keep popping back for a look.

Your question was regarding parish records in Lancashire and I would advise you to leave it in that county forum. Members that know the area will click on a 'Lancashire' thread before a 'specific look up' that can relate to anywhere.

Members pop in whenever they get the chance, some more frequently that others but rest assured all those from Lancashire will read your thread over the coming months.

Good Luck, I hope you receive a favourable response.

somanyrellies

Smile

Many thanks Mutley,

I am encouraged by your comments. I hope I was not being over-zealous.

regards to all,
    somanyrellies