Thread: Hi from Val

ValJWT

Default Hi from Val

Hi. My name is Val and I live in the province of Saskatchewan in Canada. We live on a farm. About eight years ago I started researching my mother's family in England and it has grown from there. So many people have been wonderful to help out with dates and names. There is always room though for more information and also if in any way I can help someone out it would be a pleasure. My mother was born in Glossop, Derbyshire, England in 1914, came to Canada at age three months and is still living on her own and drives her car. Her mind is wonderfully sharp; we often ask her about names from the past or present. My closer names of family research include Boardman, Kirk, Hall, Wood, Chesters and Blackburn. Great to be here.

Jan1954

Welcome to the forum, Val

Now, settle back, have a good old explore and make good use of the search box in the blue bar at the top. If you get lost, we'll send in a search party in a couple of days....

Keep asking your mum the questions and get her to remember the old days. I bet she has some stories to tell.

Enjoy yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by ValJWT View Post
    Hi. My name is Val and I live in the province of Saskatchewan in Canada. We live on a farm. About eight years ago I started researching my mother's family in England and it has grown from there. So many people have been wonderful to help out with dates and names. There is always room though for more information and also if in any way I can help someone out it would be a pleasure. My mother was born in Glossop, Derbyshire, England in 1914, came to Canada at age three months and is still living on her own and drives her car. Her mind is wonderfully sharp; we often ask her about names from the past or present. My closer names of family research include Boardman, Kirk, Hall, Wood, Chesters and Blackburn. Great to be here.
    Hello Val,

Welcome in.
    One of the nice things about genealogy is the wide range of helpful people you "meet", and we have more than our fair share here. Since I'm currently trying to sort a shoe box full of unlabelled photos I've inherited from an Uncle, my current favourite bit of advice to give people is to get photos labelled while the senior generation is still with you!

Have a wander around the various groups, and then when you're ready, pick a likely forum and tell us about someone you're currently looking for?
    Include enough info to help us to help you - I like to call it the WWW of genealogy:
    Who was he/she and who were the parents or children or spouse (or ANY relative you know about).
    Where were they when you last know anything about them?
    When were they around (even a guess at a year can help if you say that it's a guess).
    Sometimes you won't get an answer immediately, but eventually someone who knows something will turn up.

Enjoy yourself,
    Lesley

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums where we're all pretty friendly - well except me, I'm the miserable one

Have a good look around and if you get stuck with anything, please ask.

jane.harrison.9

Hi Val and welcome to the Brit-Gen forum.
    Good luck with your research.
    Jane.

Mutley

Hello Val

There are lots of places here to ask questions and it can be quite confusing to start with. Don't worry you will soon get the hang of it.

If you want to ask a question about family from Derbyshire click here and it will take you straight to the right place. Then click on New Thread and ask away.

Good Luck

ValJWT

Default Thanks very much

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'll try to find my way around and have a couple of nagging questions that will be put forth. Val

Procat

Greetings Val and welcome aboard.

My Mum is like yours. Though she gave up driving some time ago. Turns 88 in a week or two and mind as sharp as a tack. Put my memory to shame I can tell you.