Thread: Miller in Poole

Carrie Meerten

Smile Miller in Poole

Hi, I am researching MILLER from Poole, Dorset. All relations of mine back to 1850 (as far as I have gone at present) are born, married and have died in Poole.

If you are a MILLER or relation to a miller in poole, I would love to hear from you to see if we are from the same tree line.

Corinne Ash

Default Miller in Poole

Hi Carrie! I am a newbie on this site and I just noticed that you have a link to the name Miller. This was my maiden name. My father and I have been doing some research and have discovered that my great, great, great grandfather named, Jacob Miller was born in Poole, Dorset in 1817. He left, we don't know when, to travel to Newfoundland and he married a Sarah Ford in 1852. Presently we are stuck at this date and we can not go back any further.... I was wondering if we have a family link. Maybe Jacob's brother or sister.....

Just a thought!!!

Corinne

Carrie Meerten

Quote Originally Posted by Corinne Ash View Post
    Hi Carrie! I am a newbie on this site and I just noticed that you have a link to the name Miller. This was my maiden name. My father and I have been doing some research and have discovered that my great, great, great grandfather named, Jacob Miller was born in Poole, Dorset in 1817. He left, we don't know when, to travel to Newfoundland and he married a Sarah Ford in 1852. Presently we are stuck at this date and we can not go back any further.... I was wondering if we have a family link. Maybe Jacob's brother or sister.....

Just a thought!!!

Corinne
    Hi Corinne, I have returned to the forum and would be interested in knowing more. At this point I do not have a Jacob in my tree but he falls in the area of my brick wall at the moment. Would love to hear from you.

Corinne Ash

Hi Carrie,
    Welcome Back!! There is very little that we could find out with Jacob Miller. We do know that he was a fisherman and he worked for The Slade Company in Pool. This company did some trading with Fogo Island in that time period.... We think he travelled on their boat to Fogo Island , a part of Newfoundland, as this is where he got married to a Sarah Ford on Nov 16, 1852. She was also from Pool. Her father's name was John. They had 3 children. She is not my ggg grandmother though as she died in Newfoundland and Jacob remarried again to a Mary Jane Brown on Nov 9,1864. Jacob would of been 47 years old at his second marriage. Then he had 4 more children with Mary Jane, my ggg grandmother. We do know that Jacob was born in 1817 and died in 1901, according to the death records here. As Newfoundland was not a part of Canada then, we don't know where else to search. We have tried some brief searches on some of the sites that you don't have to pay... but could not find anything. As well, we don't know the actual month he was born either or if his birth year is true. Sometimes people lie about their age to get work back then or even to travel. What information do you have? Let's hope there is a link!!
    Corinne

dmjohnson

Hi Corinne
    Jacob Miller and Sarah Ford were my great great grandparents. They had a son, George who had a son, Jacob (my grandfather). Which of Jacob and Mary's children did your line follow?

Diane

Jan1954

Hello Diane - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Unfortunately, Corinne is no longer a member of the forum so is unlikely to see your message.