pipsqueak

Default STEPHEN CHERRINGTON d. 1826, Crowland

Last night I purchased a copy of the lengthy will of Stephen Cherrington of Crowland, Lincolnshire. In it he named many members of the Cherrington family (except the one I am descended from) and bequeathed countless acres of land in and around Crowland to them all.

I am still trying to determine how many of these Cherringtons are related to each other and to me and whether some of this land ended up in the hands of (and lost by) my g-g-g-gf. I still suspect that one of this Stephen Cherrington's brothers was the father of my g-g-g-gm, but she was not named because her father was still alive at the time.

If anyone has any Cherringtons in their family or if anyone knows anything about them, I would be very interested in hearing about it. I'd also be willing to share the contents of the will.

(The will is eight pages long and has a one-page codicil attached to it.)

polyanna

My great, great grandmother was a Zillah Cherrington of Crowland Lincs d.o.b.1815
    I would be interested to know if there is any connection to Stephen.

polyanna

Jan1954

Hello polyanna - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Unfortunately, Pipsqueak has not visited the forum since June of last year, but is still a member. If you would like to send a message to her direct, click on her user name and a drop-down menu will appear. One option is to send a private message, which in turn will generate an email.

Good luck with your research,

pipsqueak

Quote Originally Posted by polyanna View Post
    My great, great grandmother was a Zillah Cherrington of Crowland Lincs d.o.b.1815
    I would be interested to know if there is any connection to Stephen.

polyanna

Hello Polyanna, Jan1954 is right - I haven't been on here for a while but I do pop in and out occasionally.
    I haven't been able to find a direct connection between Zillah Cherrington and my branch of the Cherringtons. There is no mention of Zillah in Stephen's will, which would seem to suggest that she wasn't a significant member of Stephen's family. If any other Cherrington names crop up in your research, feel free to ask again.

Dennington

Many of the family surnames listed in the are to be found livng in a 10 mile circle of Spalding.
    Suggest that you refer to the 1861/1871 Census for further details.

Isaac Congreve Hardy

The family lived in Crowland, Lincolnshire & at nearby Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire

There were two people with this name:

1) born 1797 Crowland died 1871 farming in Pinchbeck, married Sarah Howe.
    Son of Benjamin & Sarah Hardy (nee Congreve) married 21 OCT 1795 Moulton, nr Spalding, Lincoln

2) born 1820 died 1798 most probably born illegitimate son of above.

The Hardy family history needs careful attention as many of the siblings named their children with the same given names!