garom

Default The Naval Hospital Chatham

Hi Folks,
    My grandfather's brother,serving in the Royal Marines, spent the last days of
    his service in this hospital before being 'invalided out' in 1905.
    Please can anyone tell how to go about getting a copy of his medical report ?
    TIA,

kcapes

Default Re-Naval Hospital

Hello
    The Royal Naval Hospital Chatham is now called the Medway Maritime it's actually in Gillingham which is just up the road, but I would also contact Chatham Historic Dockyard.
    Kim
    Good luck

Geoffers

Does the record you have record him specifically as being in an RN Hospital, or does it refer to Chatham Hospital?

I suggest searching the Hospital Records Database

You could try two searches, in field 1. Name of Hospital, try seaching using the word 'Naval' or 'Royal Navy' - I'll guess you will get three hits, Haslar, Plymouth and Greenwich.

The second search you might try would be to use field 2. The town name. Enter 'Chatham' and look at what is available for the town, you may find that a former military hospital became a general hospital. (Edit see, message above from kcapes - and try a search entering 'Medway in the hospital name field). Survival of records can be patchy.

garom

Default The Naval Hospital Chatham

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Will look into suggestions,
    Regards,
    Anthony

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I realise this is years late and you have probably found out already but just in the case, the RN Hospital in Gillingham didn't open until June 6 1905. You may need to search for the Melville Hospital records.