Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bulla

Many thanks Procat.

Bulla

Just as an update I've found the marriage cert for Alfred Harris and Sarah How, and also what I think is the birth certificate for Sarah How. I've ordered both from GRO so hopefully this will give me some more clues into Alfred Harris/Riley.

Nicolina

Default web link

try this:
    https://essex1841.com/index.shtml

you'll need to do some looking around because it covers both Suffolk and Essex

CarolMF

Default RILEY / HARRIS

Quote Originally Posted by Bulla View Post
    Just as an update I've found the marriage cert for Alfred Harris and Sarah How, and also what I think is the birth certificate for Sarah How. I've ordered both from GRO so hopefully this will give me some more clues into Alfred Harris/Riley.
    This RILEY family is mine, although the HARRIS part is not my direct line. Your grandmother must be either Doris or Daphne? I have been given info by a Jacqueline.

Eliza bn c1812 is Eliza nee TREW/TRUE – she is my gt-gt-grandmother. She married William RILEY and came from Debenham, Suffolk. As well as those listed, they also had another son, John bn 1857, who is my maternal grandfather’s father.

With the information I had found and been given, I had put together a slightly different story:

Alfred RILEY birth reg Dagenham, Essex March qtr 1852 is the son of William and Eliza. He married Eleanor STEVENSON of Chobham, birth reg Chertsey, Surrey March qtr 1853.

They had:
    Alfred Richard reg June qtr 1877 Dagenham
    Ethel Mealvenor/Malvina reg December qtr 1879 Romford
    These are on the 1881.

I have also been given:
    Esther bn 1885 London
    William bn 1890 London

I found Alfred’s wife Eleanor death reg March qtr 1900.

Also given to me:
    Henry John HARRIS bn Wapping reg St Geo East June qtr 1898
    Violet Peace HARRIS bn Wapping reg St Geo East September qtr 1902

I was told these two children’s mother was Sarah nee HOW bn 1870.
    I then found a marriage for Sarah Emily HOW to Alfred HARRIS reg St Geo East December qtr 1895.
    I also found a death for an Alfred HARRIS age 39 reg St Geo East September qtr 1903

Like you, I am unable to find them on a census, other than the 1881. But I had surmised that Sarah, left with 2 young children when her husband died, had married Alfred RILEY. I have however not been able to find a marriage, or any further children, so maybe he, with a grown-up family, just took them under his wing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12