drakefield

Default London merchants and Bank accounts

I have a notebook of my GGGGrandfather, John Hanson, who was born in about 1770 and died in about 1836 in Holborn, London
    The notebook covers various bits of information over a long period up until his latter years: money owed and owing, who he visited, deliveries of printed materials (for his son's printing company?) and notes about the family; when the children were born; when his daughter went as a housekeeper for someone etc.
    I know he came from a well-educated family and his cousins had a very successful business as Orange (etc) Merchants in London, Samuel Hanson & Sons. His handwriting looks educated and he writes well.
    However he appears to have been hard-up and describes 'beating the carpets' amongst other domestic chores.
    My questions are these:
    He mentions visiting his Bank several times. Would it have been usual for someone to have a Bank account in the early decades of the C19? It does seem to be a personal visit, not on behalf of someone else.
    His closest cousins were members of the Joiners and others were members of The Grocers. Are the records of the Livery Company memberships readily searchable, eg online or fiche, or are they generally held in hard copy by their Archivists?
    Any help is very welcome
    Many thanks
    Patrick

AnnB

Records of Livery Companies are generally held by the companies, but not all. For example, some of the records of the Watermen and Lightermen Company can be found in the Guildhall Library. Your best bet would be to contact the both the Joiners and Grocers Companies to see what they have. Take a look here - the Livery Companies Database. You will find contact e-mail addresses and info on the various Companies.

Best wishes
    Ann

PS - What a fantastic treasure to have. I have my great grandmother's diaries, so know how fascinating such family documents can be

Colin Moretti

Private banks were in operation long before that, see this page about the history of Barclays Bank:

https://www.aboutbarclays.com/content...NewsAreaID=138

I'm so envious of the notebook! (I can't see a suitable smiley)

Colin

drakefield

Many thanks.

Patrick

Kellyhamilton81

Hi Patick, although I Know this post was a while back, I hope you are still active on here, would love to get in touch with you as it appears we are related...
    Regards
    Kel

drakefield

Hi Kelly - I've just seen this... please can you email me at drakefieldAThotmailDOTcom. Thank you. Patrick
    Last edited by christanel; 01-12-2016 at 7:19 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam